D&D 5E magic items prices

talwynor

First Post
So I must be missing something right in front of my eyes, but can't for the life of me find the prices for magic items like a simple +1 sword. Where should I be looking?

dragon_eater

First Post
The standard assumption in 5th edition is that magic items are very rare and are not standardly bought and sold. However there are rules on p135 of the DMG about the possible range of values for magic items based off their rarity and rules on p129 of the DMG about players trying to sell their magical items.

A +1 weapon is an uncommon tier magical item so it is worth somewhere between 101-500gp based off those numbers.

DMG notes that it might be possible to find them for sale in cities large enough to have Magic Academies or Major Temples, but the book also mentions it's likely an an invite only market and likely to attract thieves.

In general, it's best to assume the magic item cannot be sold.

I would say they can donate it to someplace if they wish; having a temple or arcane university seriously in your debt for getting rid of an excess magic item is worth a lot more than mere gold.

Chocolategravy

First Post
In general, it's best to assume the magic item cannot be sold.

I would say they can donate it to someplace if they wish; having a temple or arcane university seriously in your debt for getting rid of an excess magic item is worth a lot more than mere gold.

In general it would be extremely irrational to assume magic items cannot be sold as they are very valuable, very useful and at the prices listed in the DMG, they are dirt cheap. Any NPC with 100 GP on their hands would buy an uncommon from you without a second thought. They would be a complete fool not to. Unless your world is populated only with complete fools, selling a magic item would be extremely easy.

But then, why would a PC sell a magic item for this worthless gold they have piles of already which they can't spend on anything useful?

And you're right back at the problem 1E had by assuming magic items were super rare and couldn't really be bought which went away as later supplements came out, because it really makes no sense. Ever since it's been standard for magic items to be as common as other magic until 5E came along to repeat mistakes.

Just assume magic items can be bought and sold, most tables I've seen here already do and as more supplements come out with magic shops written right in the system will be assuming it does too.

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
Default assumption appears to be that there isn't an active market for magic items due to them being rather uncommon outside the rare groups of madmen that take trips into deep dark pits of evil to recover rare lost treasures. Its your game though so if you want every city to have its own Diagon Alley then there are some rules to help you come up with prices in the DMG, though they are far too low IMO. Then again I hate the magic Walmart stuff so I'm fine with 5e's default assumption.

In general it would be extremely irrational to assume magic items cannot be sold as they are very valuable, very useful and at the prices listed in the DMG, they are dirt cheap. Any NPC with 100 GP on their hands would buy an uncommon from you without a second thought. They would be a complete fool not to. Unless your world is populated only with complete fools, selling a magic item would be extremely easy.

But then, why would a PC sell a magic item for this worthless gold they have piles of already which they can't spend on anything useful?

And you're right back at the problem 1E had by assuming magic items were super rare and couldn't really be bought which went away as later supplements came out, because it really makes no sense. Ever since it's been standard for magic items to be as common as other magic until 5E came along to repeat mistakes.

Just assume magic items can be bought and sold, most tables I've seen here already do and as more supplements come out with magic shops written right in the system will be assuming it does too.

Giving the benefit of the doubt for now, but your opening almost calls for a hostile reply.

The prices listed in the DMG are an optional rule. And, as you have noted, they are a rule that really tends to punish players for trying to sell magic items; even within the optional rules, the system is designed under the assumption that the PCs won't sell magic items.

As for magic shops coming out: Why do you assume such will happen? Basegame 5E, it might not happen at all; it probably will happen with Eberron, but that's because you can't really do that setting without them or without massive availability of magic items.

And as for repeating the mistakes of the past: They do that every edition. Just a different mistake. If this is the mistake this time around, then we're lucky; just take a look at the prior two editions to see how much worse of a mistake they could make. And I see how they could easily make this work for them and stick with it for base DnD.

Gecko85

Explorer
In my game I've decided the more mundane magic items (+1 weapons, etc.) might be found in a large city, but only if you know where to look. It's going to take some time to find the right contacts and build up goodwill. Those with better magic items aren't going to part with them. Now, those that are *stolen* from them...that's another story. But those are going to be even harder to find, since the thieves aren't going to want the rightful owner to find out who stole their prized possession. Most likely the better items will be traded with a guild from another city. Again, though, it's not going to be easy to gain access to the loot, and they're not going to be cheap.

Do you own your own fully automatic machine guns, attack helicopter, and armored personel carrier? If not then you should sell your house, car, and anything else of value and try to buy them. If you don't then you are a fool.

Would you consider that reasonable?

Many common magic items are useful as deadly weapons or as items of personal defense. The average NPC, much like the average person in our world, doesn't risk his/her life against horrible monsters on a daily basis and would flee a battle rather than seek one out.

Lets say Joe the NPC, a typical town resident, actually has 100+ gp to burn. He could possibly buy a +1 sword, but WHY would he? For that money he could buy a whole set of finely made tools for his craft which would help him earn more money. What would he DO with a +1 sword? Hang it on his wall to impress guests? If he ever actually had to fight, he is an untrained craftsman with a handful of hit points. He will be dogmeat, magic sword or not.

So no I do not agree that any NPC who wouldn't buy a magic weapon is a fool. Quite the opposite actually.

Remove ads