• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Magic Items Suggestions

Pinotage

Explorer
seans23 said:
ahhh... no wonder I couldn't find a feather fall token in the SRD. I was confused by this, as well.

There are other tokens in Races of the Wild, called Safewing Emblems, allowing you to once off feather fall from any height lower than 180 ft. Costs 250 gp.

Pinotage

ARandomGod

First Post
Lord Pendragon said:
Hrm. I'm not sure I'd allow this in my game. It makes the Ring of Featherfalling rather pointless, since you can get the same "insurance" at a much cheaper price. Not sure how much that bothers me, though.

If you use the rules for adding an enchantment to a ring, (+50% to the cost) adding featherfall to another ring is always an important safety precaution... and not really all that expensive...

Of course, a feather fall *token* is even cheaper. Being a one use item and all. And really, how often does feather fall turn out useful?

Rackhir

Explorer
If you have the mounted combat feat, you can make a ride check to negate one attack per round against you mount. So any items that increase your ride check will help it survive.

If it's a Griffon a magical "Bag O' Horsemeat" would certainly help to avoid your mount snacking on the other players mounts.

Due to the light load requirement to fly anything that increases your mounts Str is good. Remember a fully loaded fighter type with armor, weapons and riding gear is going to weigh something close to that light load, if not be over.

Lord Pendragon

First Post
ARandomGod said:
Of course, a feather fall *token* is even cheaper. Being a one use item and all. And really, how often does feather fall turn out useful?
Exactly what I was getting at. PCs pick up the Ring of Featherfalling as a "just in case" item that rarely ever comes into play. All the players I know--myself emphatically included--would jump at the chance to pay the pittance for a token instead of the price of a ring. Sure, at high levels the Ring of Featherfalling's price is fairly insignificant, but with the token you both get access much earlier (due to it being cheaper) and don't take up a precious, precious ring slot. It's better in every conceivable way, save in a campaign where you're getting knocked off your mount every other encounter. :p

Lord Pendragon said:
It's better in every conceivable way, save in a campaign where you're getting knocked off your mount every other encounter. :p

In other words, it's better for those people who expect to fall once in every great while, but not as good for someone who's going to be flying a lot - either through magic or on a flying mount.

I think that was kinda the point! :D

Lord Pendragon

First Post
Patryn of Elvenshae said:
In other words, it's better for those people who expect to fall once in every great while, but not as good for someone who's going to be flying a lot - either through magic or on a flying mount.

I think that was kinda the point! :D
No, that's not what I said at all. "Someone who's going to be flying a lot" is still going to want the token. Only someone who's being knocked off his mount on a regular basis is going to want the ring. And in my experience even PCs who use flying mounts in every encounter are only but rarely knocked off their mounts. Very rarely.

Unless you were suggesting that in your campaigns, "someone who is going to be flying a lot" is synonymous with "someone who gets knocked off their mount a lot"? :p

Scion

First Post
I am not sure that I have ever had to deal with more than about 30' of falling damage for a character.. ever.. and I have been playing for a very, very long time ;)

as such, even if a ring of falling had a 0gp cost the price for the slot is just way too high.

If there was an item to place on your mount that was fairly cheap and didnt take up an important slot then I'd go for that along with one of those saddles that strap you in so that you 'cant' fall off ;)

Lord Pendragon

First Post
Patryn of Elvenshae said:
Comparitively speaking, yes.
Interesting. Were I one of your players, I'd probably stay away from a flying mount, then, and get myself some winged boots. After all, why bother with a flying mount, if it's going to become a liability in nearly every encounter? :\

But that's beside the point, I suppose. I can see that in your campaigns, clearly, what I said doesn't apply. I agree that in such a campaign, where getting knocked out of the saddle is the norm rather than the exception, the Ring of Featherfalling becomes a valuable item despite the existence of tokens of same. But in my games, I only rarely knock the PCs off their mounts, so the tokens, if I allowed them, would be a no-brainer. :)

Infiniti2000

First Post
Why not allow them, though? You just need to adjust the price to fit your campaign. If they're too cheap as is, just raise the price accordingly. :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads