• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Magic Items

Yokiboy

First Post
Hey gang,

I love magic items, but try to keep them feeling truly magic by down playing how common they are. In other words I run a pretty low magic campaign (set in Kingdoms of Kalamar btw).

I'd like to use some of the cool magic items for NPCs, but that ultimately means that they will fall into the hands of the PCs, how do the rest of you handle this aspect? What I mean is, in a regular campaign, following the DMG when it comes to magic items, do you just let the players get all the goodies from the NPCs and then go sell or trade the stuff they don't want?

Do any of you use magic items with limited activations or perhaps that are bonded to the individual that it was made for, and won't be magic for anyone else?

Basically I'm looking for ideas on how to handle an increase in magic items in my campaign, and the effects this could have on it.

TTFN,

Yokiboy

eris404

Explorer
Yokiboy said:
I'd like to use some of the cool magic items for NPCs, but that ultimately means that they will fall into the hands of the PCs, how do the rest of you handle this aspect? What I mean is, in a regular campaign, following the DMG when it comes to magic items, do you just let the players get all the goodies from the NPCs and then go sell or trade the stuff they don't want? Do any of you use magic items with limited activations or perhaps that are bonded to the individual that it was made for, and won't be magic for anyone else?

We use a mishmash of things in our group (we have 3 different games run by different DMs). Currently, we use leveled items (from a Dragon magazine article) and the scion classes (from the Game Mechanics), which means that if certain items fall into the hands of the characters, they will need to invest XP or take levels in a prestige class to make the items really powerful.

Spells are a good way to enhance a foe temporarily, too, and I've used Bull's Strength, Mage Armor, Stoneskin, etc. to enhance an opponent without giving the PCs too much. A lot of my foes invested in potions and scrolls, too.

The thing I was always worry about it getting a good balance, of course. If I make an opponent tougher without giving the players any reward for it, they can get pretty ugly (especially if one was coveting a certain NPC's sword, only to find out it just had Greater Magic Weapon and Keen Edge cast on it temporarily!).

diaglo

Adventurer
who is the consumer?

if joe PC has just acquired a +10 Longsword and wants to sell it for the money. who is going to buy it?

how does the purchaser know joe PC is telling the truth about the magic qualities.

it looks like a fine longsword to him, but he can't tell its worth more than that. so he offers the price of a masterwork longsword. ;)

or said item is an item of legend. and thus the previous owners want it back. they have heard tales of the new owners. offer a generous reward for its recovery, but nearly what it is worth to the PCs. they refuse. and become outlaws. no good/lawful church will heal them, etc...

there are many ways to keep magic low.

Wycen

Explorer
You could perhaps give the NPC's tattoos, which only work for them. Or temporarily enchanted items with Extended/Persistent metamagic feated spells.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads