magic ring

Does it work

• Poll closed .

dwayne

Adventurer
I made this little puppy after reading through the spell section and as I am still a bit new running 5th edition but have been here from the start through all the other ones. Was wanting to get a feeling that if this item is a good or bad idea. Any constructyive criticing will be appreaciated and all others will be ignored and deleted.

Attachments

• mystic ring of spell locking.pdf
    242.6 KB · Views: 106
  • mystic ring of spell locking version 2.pdf
    163.6 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
It's a lot easier if you just post the rules text here. I've taken the liberty:
Effects: When worn the ring will let a spell lock in place on the subject for its duration or until the ring is removed. This only lets the effect that was intended to function at the time the spell was cast. For example alter self spell you cast it on a willing subject with the ring and at the time of casting you want an elf to pass for human. This will lock that said effect in place but the subject has no other control over any other part of the spell as it was locked into place at the time of casting. So no changing to look like something else or using any other aspect of said spell what was not part of the previous casting. This will only function as to replace the concentration of an effect so no roll is required to maintain its effect of the spell. If the spell does not have concentration duration and only affects spell that you cast on the subject wearing the ring. (For example: Otto’s irresistible Dance would not work for this effect due to the casting is not on you but another subject unless they said subject was wearing the ring. Only one effect can be on the ring at a time and only removed if the ring is or duration has run its course. If wearing the ring that is not locking a spell effect in place and a spell is cast to effect subject and is of the type the ring can lock then the subject can choose to let it affect him or reject it by gaining an advantage on the save to resist it) then this ring will not function for that spell effect. These rings are made to affect only Low 1st to 3rd, Middle 4th to 6th and High 7th to 9th spell effects.

I am a little confused what you are going for here. Is the effect supposed to apply to spells that you cast, or does it let you target an active spell on another creature and "lock" its properties? I'm not sure the alter self example is correct, because you can only cast that on yourself anyway.

If you can explain in general what you want, we might be able to help with the wording. Or maybe it's just me, and someone else will understand better.

dwayne

Adventurer
basically, you have to be wearing the ring to lock the effect if that said effect targets something like the otto's spell the subject must also have a ring but if he does and is aware of the spell being cast he can choose to let it affect him or gain an advantage to resist the effect. Alter self cast on subject wearing ring the subject decideds what he looks like at the time of casting and then it is locked in on the subject tilll duration ends. As with the otto spell if you wear the ring but the feect is targeting another subject then the ring does not work because the ring wearer is not the target of the effect.

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
Alter self cast on subject wearing ring the subject decideds what he looks like at the time of casting and then it is locked in on the subject tilll duration ends.

OK lets start with this. Alter Self can normally only be cast on yourself. Are you saying that the ring is supposed to let you cast it on someone else? Or is it that when you cast it on yourself the form is fixed?

For example, Bob the wizard has this ring and the Alter Self spell prepared. Are you saying that Bob can cast Alter Self on Joe the Fighter? Or does Bob just cast Alter Self on Bob?

Or, possibly, is Alter Self not really a good example for what you want the ring to do?

Jris

Villager
It sounds like you want the ring to maintain a spell effect without the caster having to concentrate on it. With the slight drawback that the caster or target can't change any of the parameters of the spell once it has been 'locked'. Seems pretty powerful to me, as it overcomes one of the main limitations on buffs.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
I too find the wording quite confusing. What does "lock" mean?

Say a spell lasts for 5 minutes. Would "lock" extend its duration?

Aenorgreen

First Post
Assuming it is meant to basically give a free concentration I would consider it too powerful. The concentration mechanic is an important part of keeping casters from being too powerful and getting rid of the old days of having multiple buffs.

Seems brokenly powerful, and I can't tell if it alters the duration or not. I'm going to assume not.

Concentration free haste
Shadows of moil and hex
Bless & guidance on self
Shield of faith and haste plus a shield spell all at once
Stoneskin+barkskin and a wildshaped druid would be one tanky mofo.
Greater invisibility+anything at all.

dwayne

Adventurer
the ring only locks the spell cast on the subject wearing the ring, so common sense would say if you can not cast the said spell only on you then yes only you as it locks the spell effect on the user of the ring does not change who is effected.

Remove ads