magic ring

Does it work

• Poll closed .

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
thanks that is what i was going for

Cool. In my opinion, you should drop the part about giving advantage; that just makes it more complicated and it isn't necessary.

Without that and with attunement, I'd say it is a workable item. Even the low-level version is quite good, but there are stronger items in the DMG I'd say.

Aenorgreen

First Post
it is limited in the use as you can only have two rings on at once, also the speels effected are limited to low med and high and if you just hand them out well that's your issue for giving them away. as a player may only ever have one in his life let alone two. they are not candy to be dolded out. letting a caster for go one spell effect with con, is not like in the old days as they could stack endless amounts. if having more than one of these rings would be unbalancing then don't give more than one out.

I think having even one is unbalancing. It means you can have two concentration spells at the same time, which opens up lots of combos. Too strong.

jaelis

I think having even one is unbalancing. It means you can have two concentration spells at the same time, which opens up lots of combos. Too strong.

So you'd pick one of these rings over, say, a Staff of Power? Ring of Three Wishes?

It might be good however to restrict it to having only one ring usable.

Aenorgreen

First Post
So you'd pick one of these rings over, say, a Staff of Power? Ring of Three Wishes?

It might be good however to restrict it to having only one ring usable.

I probably would choose it over a staff of power. The staff gives a couple of free castings, but assuming you already have access to those spells it doesn't let you do anything you could not before. This ring lets you break the rules of the game.

jaelis

I probably would choose it over a staff of power. The staff gives a couple of free castings, but assuming you already have access to those spells it doesn't let you do anything you could not before. This ring lets you break the rules of the game.

Fair enough, but I'm curious for, say the low-level ring, which level 1-3 buff spell do you feel is better than +2 AC, +2 spell save DC, and +2 on spell attacks?

Aenorgreen

First Post
Fair enough, but I'm curious for, say the low-level ring, which level 1-3 buff spell do you feel is better than +2 AC, +2 spell save DC, and +2 on spell attacks?

I was considering it more against the mid-level ring. Imagine a single wizard being able to hold you in a wall of force with a cloudkill. But there are some great lower level spells. Fly, haste, even spider climb. And it is not just for the arcane casters. How about having both spiritual guardians with moonbeam or spike growth? I think it is an overly large boost to casters.

jaelis

I was considering it more against the mid-level ring. Imagine a single wizard being able to hold you in a wall of force with a cloudkill. But there are some great lower level spells. Fly, haste, even spider climb. And it is not just for the arcane casters. How about having both spiritual guardians with moonbeam or spike growth? I think it is an overly large boost to casters.
You would rather have a ring of spider climb than a staff of power? That seems unlikely, but it's your call.

No one is arguing that dwayne's ring isn't a powerful item. I'm just a little skeptical that it is more powerful than any item presently in the game.

Aenorgreen

First Post
It is very powerful, and in a way that I feel goes against the balance of the game. There may be other overly powerful items. I don't think adding more is a good idea.

dwayne

Adventurer
Cool. In my opinion, you should drop the part about giving advantage; that just makes it more complicated and it isn't necessary.

Without that and with attunement, I'd say it is a workable item. Even the low-level version is quite good, but there are stronger items in the DMG I'd say.

sounds reasonable

Remove ads