• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Magic v. Psionics: Thematic Differences

Baron Opal

First Post
My question is both mechanical and flavor in nature. In my setting, the major psionic races are the mind flayers and the verrik (Arcana Evolved. Think Vulcan Mayans who are as atheistic as practical). I am looking to make psionics a distinctive power. Preferably one where there are thematic differences as well as mechanical advantages to picking one over the other. Psionics will be far rarer, and have a poor, almost sinister stereotype to them. Petty much only verrik, a few clans of humans and the rare individual (PCs) from other races will have psionics.

Since I use the AE ruleset, magicians already have a high degree of flexibility and can blast as well as heal. So, no psionic advantage there. I do have the Psychic's Handbook from Green Ronin as well as the XPH so I could go either way mechanically.

Turanil, it's funny that you should mention Ars Magica. That's kind of where I would like to go vis-a-vis the differences between the Orders of Hermes, Odin and Sulimain. All three practice magic, but they are all different mechanically, thematicly and in capability. I would like to have something like that where the magic-users are all watching the culturally separate psionic guild because they're convinced that the psions are all going to go mad one day. And everyone is worried about the binders.

I have no problems stripping power lists. I am more than willing to rip out psionic AoE powers and magical mind reading spells if that's the theme I'm working off of. I think that there should be some overlap. Both are very versatile powers and my campaign world is quite old. But what ever theme I decide on should be distinctive beyond third level powers, I would think.

Right at the moment, I'm trying to decide where to make the cuts.

Turanil

First Post
Baron Opal said:
Since I use the AE ruleset, magicians already have a high degree of flexibility and can blast as well as heal. So, no psionic advantage there. I do have the Psychic's Handbook from Green Ronin as well as the XPH so I could go either way mechanically.
Arcana Evolved + X-Psi sounds like a great idea! I think that Psychic's Handbook from Green Ronin mechanically appears much more different from magic than XPH; but as a player I would most probably prefer XPH. I don't think that psionics would need an advantage to be chosen over an AE spellcasting class. Myself, I would be interested in playing a Verrik Psi-class in this campaign. But as a DM I would nonetheless suggest that no multiclassing between AE and XPH be allowed.

Baron Opal said:
I am looking to make psionics a distinctive power.
I once had an idea of an Asian campaign setting. This would have been a wilderness area being settled by a Japanese Daymyo clan (hence Samurai, ninjas, etc.), but with also a Chinese Taoist monastery in the vicinity (and cooperation between the two, against marauding Onis, etc.). As such, the Japanese characters were going to use Legends of Samurai (by RPGObjects) for classes, etc., but the Chinese Taoist characters would have use the PHB monk plus the XPH classes. That is, Psionics would reflect powers derived from meditation, etc., where magic was about dealing with the occult, spirits, etc. Then, as Legends of Samurai is clearly Japanese in flavor, I thought that XPH would be good to emulate a different flavor for the Chinese monastery's characters.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Psionics will not be very distinct from AE's use of magic already.

In fact, since AE already has the "psionic" template, you can see how AE treats psionics -- purely mental forces, mind manipulation, and nonlethal damage.

I'd say don't bother with the XPH (though it is cool), and just be a psychic witch. :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads