• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

magic weapons and light

Rixshaw

First Post
I think it says in the DMG that all magic weapons have a 20% chance to have light 20 foot. Is that only when first created or every time that more magic is added to the weapon?:D

Lord Pendragon

First Post
The actual text states something like "fully 30% of magic weapons shed light equivalent to a torch." Since the percentage is relating to the quantity of magic weapons as a whole, I'd say it's just at creation. Otherwise the percentage of light-shedding weapons would gradually increase over time, as newer weapons would start out 30% light-shedding, and older ones would often become light-shedding after the fact as well. Consider the light-shedding property as an occasional side-effect of that first +1 enhancement.

jollyninja

First Post
doesn't it also mention that the caster determines weither or not the item glows? the 30% is just for randomly found magical items because most people do not want their weapons to glow every time they are pulled. i think that it's in the same paragraph or slightly before the text you quoted. I would say that any enchantment you stick on there would allow the new caster to make it glow or remove the glow with relative ease.

Rashak Mani

First Post
Well in the DMG 30% might glow... but I have never seen a glowing sword in any game of ours... even thou fantasy story swords like the Prince Valiant Sword glowed.

Anyone have glowing swords in their campaigns ? Any problems or benefits from it ?

Crothian

First Post
I had the rogue find a really kick ass sword that would glow and hum. Didn't have to be welded to do either. It wasn't intellignet it was a Wizard's pratical joke. Make a sword that is great for rogues but the giving off of light and the humming severle hamper the rogues stealth abilities.

Darkness8Me

First Post
I have a character with a weapon that radiates light. The nice part is that I don't have to juggle a torch in dark areas (no darkvision). The downside is I can't have it drawn while sneaking up on the enemy as the light definately gives me away (and I don't have quickdraw either).

bret

First Post
I'm playing a Paladin in one campaign who has a Holy weapon. Of coarse it glows.

In the same campaign is a Flaming Weapon. It only lights up on command. :)

Remove ads