• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Magical Baubles, Trinkets & Toys in your games?

Amadan

First Post
Only oddities I've had in my campaign belonged to an old and excentric (but very powerful) wizard [back in 2E]. They included precious metal and gemstone animated butterflies, and an animated elephant shaped foot stool / small chest.

howandwhy99

Adventurer
Nearly all my players read these boards, so it's almost crazy to put anything up here that I want to surprise them with. This is an ongoing issue and probably not so common.

Off the top of my head?

Soap. This plus some water can make a very large stony area slippery.
Shovel. Near endless uses from weapon to trapmaking to waste disposal.
Feather. Doubles as writing utensil and torture device.
Belt. Good as a light flail in an instant and also can make a decent climbing harness.
Bell. Both a warning device and a lure.
Hook. Good for climbing (both in hand and w/ rope), prying, as a light weapon, and for fishing (for large creatures).
Pants. Good makeshift flotation devices. Can double for tying equipment. And you get bonuses to intimidate and surprise when not wearing any.

There are plenty more...

darthkilmor

First Post
Bardsandsages said:
It depends on how magic is used in your world. A spellcaster can only cast a set number of spells per day. Crafting magical items consumes time, resources, and life force (XP). Therefore, in all likelihood such items would be extremely rare, not common. If I as a spellcaster have to chose between crafting Bracer of Armor to save my hide or a child-proof ginzu, I'm probably working on the Bracers.

Also, magic items are expensive to the common population. Adventurers have money, but the average farmer doesn't have any. The target market for certain items (such as your knife, for example) couldn't afford to buy such an item. And I can't think of many adventurers who would bother with it.

I think it makes more sense if you remember that not everyone can make a +1 quarterstaff or whatever Random Magic Item X on the first try and you probably end up with some quirky items that just didnt come out right.
I think I would especially do this to a player if they wanted to make a new item that they've never seen(essentianlly inventing soemthing). probably give them a break on the XP but if they understood that, hey, the stuff takes experimenting to get right, it should be ok.
If you consider the whizzled old wizard in his tower for years as the source for stuff like this, then its even easier to explain.
"Ayup, everyone in town has some kinda magical doodad what come out of Thumberdorfle's tower, crazy ol' coot been tryin' what ta make himself all sorts of stuff. I'm just glad I got this here pet lantern. Little feller follows me everywhere. Likes hats too, the misses makes those for'em. I Guess a fancy wizard just don't have a need for somethin' like that, but its handy for me."

Simm

First Post
Strange items I've seen or owned:

Chef's hat of holding- be very careful when removing from head.
+1 returning dagger of bluntness- dagger that deals bludgeoning damage.
+1 salami: deal 1d6+1 subdual damage for no apparant reason.
cloth of filth: anything you wipe with it becomes very dirty.
Flying Bento box- magical take out (once had to discover who was intecepting these, turned out to be a fat, drunk fairy with a catapult)
shocking cabinet- touch the display case, take 1d4 electrical damage.

Some of my DMs have been rather odd.

Seravin

Explorer
In one game I played in, the DM gave me a hat I could never lose. It could be blown away, stolen, whatever - and it would always find its way back to my character.
Inspired by Indiana Jones' hat - didn't matter what happened to it, by the end of the scene he would have it back.

Deng

First Post
Gold Roger said:
I always like decking out my players in travel cloaks from the Magic of Fearun.

They give continous endure elements, are watertight, provide a travel ration trice per day, include a flask that pours hot tea or cold water at will (though the total amount per day is limited) and once per day they turn into a comfy one-person tent.

I love those things. I've had a couple of characters get one. Nothing says to a BBEG "I Don't Fear You" more than having a nice hot cup of tea and a trail ration during their dramatic diatribe :p

Remove ads