• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Magical Baubles, Trinkets & Toys in your games?

Bardsandsages

First Post
Nyaricus said:
I'm just interested, since in a D&D world, you'd figure stuff like this might be mroe commonplace, and I want to gather some ideas from EN World here, no to mention share some of your great ideas with one another :D

cheers,
--N

It depends on how magic is used in your world. A spellcaster can only cast a set number of spells per day. Crafting magical items consumes time, resources, and life force (XP). Therefore, in all likelihood such items would be extremely rare, not common. If I as a spellcaster have to chose between crafting Bracer of Armor to save my hide or a child-proof ginzu, I'm probably working on the Bracers.

Also, magic items are expensive to the common population. Adventurers have money, but the average farmer doesn't have any. The target market for certain items (such as your knife, for example) couldn't afford to buy such an item. And I can't think of many adventurers who would bother with it.

That said, I wouldn't say any of the items you listed were useless. As an adventurer, I'd love an everburning candle and chalk that never ran out (how useful would both of these be in underground caverns to light your way and mark off your path?).

In my recent modern game, the group got wealthy and wanted to buy magic items, so I created an adventure where they found a vendor in Greece. Once they saved him from the danger du jour, I let them see his wares. Amid the magic flaming pistols with infinite ammo and the tattoo needles that could provide stat buffs and the trenchcoats that deflected blades and bullets, were a few useless items.

The pocketbook. Small enough to fit into a breast pocket, this magic item let you place any one other book on it. It would then absorb that book, and allow whoever carried the pocketbook to be able to instantly reference any information in the absorbed book. It didn't allow comprehension of things beyond you, and it couldn't translate for you, but it was a great way for a lazy priest to fake perfect knowledge of the Bible.

The glamour pin. It makes the wearer look like a million bucks, constantly. You always look like you're a movie star, with a make-up team and quality lighting available for every situation. They gave it to Rebel Billionaire Sir Richard Branson.

The comfy chair. A recliner that cost as much as a Humvee, this chair was the pinnacle of what you would want a chair to be. It cleaned itself, had warm seats and it could vibrate, but it was already so comfortable that you wouldn't really need that for anything other than a novelty. It was big enough that you could, with just the right amount of fuss, fit two lovers in it. You could sleep in it, but it always knew when you needed to wake up for an appointment. It could magically shrink to the size of a wallet so you could carry it with you, and if you had it in your pocket, it would make any seat you sat in much more comfy.

The PC gunslinger decided to get this in lieu of some other, combat-useful gear, because it sounded like something no sane rich man would pass up. He enjoyed the hell out of that thing, sleeping in it while the rest of the party were stuck on motel beds or airplane seats or cold abandoned buildings in Chicago.

Then, with the world only days from apocalypse, the group ended up in the fey court with Titania and Oberon, trying to barter for passage to a forbidden island. The gunslinger became enamored at the sight of one of Titania's bodyguards -- a woman in supple, skin-tight full plate that covered every inch of her body, with a pair of swords that floated beside her. There was a keyhole on the visor that covered her face, and their guide told him that she was a sword maiden from Scandinavia, and that anyone who saw her face would have power over her, but only the person with the key could open her armor. Titania was using the woman almost as a slave.

The gunslinger wanted that key.

During the negotiations with Titania and Oberon, it became clear that the two of them were having marital strife, stemming in part from the fact that after centuries, she just wasn't interested in sex anymore, because she had already tried everything. The gunslinger offered Oberon the comfy chair, in exchange for one small favor.

The next morning, a package was delivered to the small hut where the gunslinger was sleeping, and a few minutes later the swordmaiden arrived, having been sent to bring the sincerest thanks of Titania and Oberon. The gunslinger played it smooth, promising to set her free if she wanted, but offering her a chance to go on an adventure that would be remembered in epic sagas for the rest of time. Then he unlocked her mask and gave her her own key, thus gaining the love of a beautiful warrior woman.

He still kinda missed the comfy chair, though.

Mallus

Legend
I'm not sure this counts, seeing as he is of use in a fight, but right now the most colorful item my group has is Phillip... also known as the "Size-Malleable, Self-Winding Phlogistonic Gryphon Prototype Alpha", crafted by the daft alchemist Magnus Gyrefalcon the Magnanimous.

See, he's basically a Figuring of Wonderous Power (griffin).

Except that he's made of steel, looking like the bastard offspring of a griffin and an old Soviet Mig, complete with bad welding and bolts.

And he's capable of VTOL flight.

And he has afterburners.

And he really does wind himself. If someone else tries to wind him, he detonates with tremendous magical force.

And he comes with a built-in sadle and bar (really just three spigots protruding from the back of his neck), capable of dispensing espresso, tea, and gin.

And he's terribly polite, not to mention vaguely British.

And his name is an awful pun that relates to his sexual orientation.

He's currently under repair, sitting under a tarp next to a row of pigeon cages on the roof of the one of the PC's apartments in my setting capitol city.

Last edited:

Gold Roger

First Post
I always like decking out my players in travel cloaks from the Magic of Fearun.

They give continous endure elements, are watertight, provide a travel ration trice per day, include a flask that pours hot tea or cold water at will (though the total amount per day is limited) and once per day they turn into a comfy one-person tent.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Gold Roger said:
I always like decking out my players in travel cloaks from the Magic of Fearun.

They give continous endure elements, are watertight, provide a travel ration trice per day, include a flask that pours hot tea or cold water at will (though the total amount per day is limited) and once per day they turn into a comfy one-person tent.
If that shows up in the Magic Item Compendium, I am SO going to have my illusionist make one. :D

Nareau

Explorer
Joman's Darts: Joman was a halfling merchant, and an expert at darts. After his untimely death, it was discovered that it was his darts, not him, who couldn't miss. Each of these three darts will fly unerringly to its nonliving, unattended target within range. They've been used once or twice in the campaign (combined with a Silence spell to take out the enemy's alarm bell).

Nareau

DungeonmasterCal

First Post
The Fish Whistle. A goofy magic item I gave to a 2e Jester, who was probably completely insane, if you go by the way his player portrayed him. To use it, you had to submerge your head in a stream or lake (any body of water large enough to support fish), and blow the whistle. Of course, bubbles would boil out of it and look utterly ridiculous, but it summoned every fish within a 100' feet.

SiderisAnon

First Post
Other Useful Items

I love giving my players magic items that are neat and useful, but which probably aren't going to help much in combat. Personally, I think that with all the costs of creating magic items, you would see far more USEFUL items and fewer piles of +1 weapons.

Spoon of Salting - Spices any food you stir with it. (Does more than salt, actually.)

Slippers of Comfort - Protects you from cold floors, or keeps you cool if it's hot.

Beer mugs that cool their contents - Set of four. (There may have been a pitcher too.)

Pitcher that would replicate any nom-magical drink stored in it for 24 hours. It would pour a full pitcher worth each day.

Portable hole filled with shelving and drawers, plus a magic area which was always freezing cold. Used to carry supplies.

Ink vial that won't spill.

Tool Belt - Looked kind of like a simple carpenter's belt, except that it worked like a Heward's Handy Haversack for the tools in it. It contained tools for carpentry, sculpting, and leatherworking. It was designed for the construct-creating artificer.

Folding desk. (Full-sized writing desk that folds up to about 1'x6"x6".)

Belt of Lifting - Adds to the Strength score, but only for lifting and carying.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads