• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Magical Threshold for PCs: Some Crunch, Some Fluff

Irda Ranger

First Post
In the recent Customizing Monsters preview the concept of the Magical Threshold was introduced. There is much discussion on that topic in other threads as far as monsters are concerned, but I want to talk about how this can be introduced for PCs.

First off, I'm one of those DMs who wants to run a less-than-D&D-standard-item campaign. One or two iconic items per PC, tops. None of this "fill every slot" business. That doesn't work for me. That's why I've been pretty excited by the transparency in "'+x' expectations" built into the rules. Right now I think you can give all PCs a +1 bonus to attacks, damage, AC and Defense every 4 levels and be done with it. The numbers might change there, but the idea shouldn't.

But now we have this Magical Threshold concept, and I am intrigued. Perhaps we keep +x items, but the + from the item does not stack with the +1 you get every 4 levels. To move away from "but Martial characters aren't magical!" attacks, we'll say that both items and leveling grant you a non-stacking "Awesome Bonus." Dwarven Fighters may not be magical, but they are awesome. So are magic axes.

The Crunch: PCs gain a +1 Awesome Bonus to AC and Defenses and all attack and damage rolls equal to 1/4 their level (Max: +7; rounded down). This bonus does not stack with the Awesome Bonus from magical weapons, armors or cloaks/amulets.​
Personally, I like the idea of some kid finding a magic sword and gaining a real benefit from it, but that as he becomes a more proficient warrior it becomes less and less the sword that matters and more and more the man. I also really dislike the "arms race" mentality at higher levels, and this is a nice way to deal with it. For those of you in the audience who like PCs and NPCs/Monsters to be treated the same, are you a little happier now? ;)

But I didn't just bring a new rule for you! I have an idea for building on this concept for your campaign!

More Crunch, but now with Implied Setting!: Any weapon, armor, shield or amulet with the Memory Item descriptor absorbs the qualities of its bearer. If worn or wielded relatively continuously (DM's discretion) while the bearer levels up twice consecutively the Memory Item assumes the same Level and Awesome Bonus as its bearer. It may also absorb certain other qualities of its Bearer appropriate for the Item's level (DM's discretion).​
Magic swords, as you call them, may be first forged by some elven wizard or dwarven master smith, but a magic sword's life only begins there; that is merely the first step in a long journey. Through use and experience the sword learns as its wielder does, and from him. It absorbs his hard-won fighting skills, his qualities, and sometimes even his beliefs.

What happens is that you no longer go down to Ye Olde Magic Shoppe and commission a +3 sword. The best you can do is commission a Masterwork Sword with the Memory Item descriptor. At first blush this weapon appears to be no more than a normal Masterwork item. But with time (i.e., after leveling twice) it will grow with the character and assume the qualities inherent to all magical items (occasionally glowing, pierces certain resistances, greater Hardness and HP, etc.). It may also acquire qualities that complement the wielder, such that the mace of Erais Sunlord counts as a Radiant weapon for purposes of monster Vulnerabilities (I'm looking as you, Vampire Template). This level of "item dependency" is "just right" for my campaign, but you can probably take this concept and tweak it for yours.

And if you want to hark back to the old days of Aligned and/or Sentient Weapons, now you know where the alignment and/or sentience comes from: the shards of personality imprinted by the item's most powerful former wielders.

But the really coolbodacious benefits of Memory Items are in the story elements.

Now you know why the blade of Ashen Shugar must be feared, even in the hands of a novice.

Now when your 3rd level PCs find a +2 sword you can describe how the memories of battles long past seem to flow from the hilt into your mind, and you find your balance and stance altering in subtle ways as the wisdom of a dozen warriors informs you. A name comes to you: Tomas of the Tsarai Hills, let me tell you of my battles with the Hill Giants.

Now you know why each King's Champion passes on his sword to his successor. Now you know why an Officer's Sword of the Xth Legion is of such importance.

And if you're running an old Gygaxian adventure, now you know why +1 items are everywhere. Lots of people make it to 4th level. :)

Last edited:

Stormtalon

First Post
Hmmm, while I still plan on running RAW, at least to start, that last bit of flavor for the histories of items screams.....

****YOINK****

;)

Merlin the Tuna

First Post
This is really clever. I look forward to vaguely remembering this years from now and completely botching the concept when I try to implement it from my hazy memory.

PeelSeel2

Explorer
Someone gave me the idea in 4e magic items with plus would be based off character level. I got to thinking about that. What an awesome system. You can have a 1/3 level magic item, or a 1/4 level item. So Sting the short sword is a valued and prized possession through all levels. Previous to level three for the particular character sting counts as a magic sword. At level three it is a +1 weapon, at 6 +2, at nine +3, etc. No need to cash it in or trade for the next level. You can make them really rare. You can also add master worked weapons or exotic materials weapons, which could be a +1 or +2 at most.

You could do the same with armor. And keep magic items really rare.

jimpaladin

First Post
Thank you for a very complete idea! I was thinking along those lines as I too despise the magick shoppe and was thinking on the Identify spell and how as a supposed ritual can be made to be used by more that just a M-U or Sage. Allows a weaponsmith to get in on the action as well as merchants and traders. Again thanks for the total post!

p.s. of course you used cool too much :D

Irda Ranger

First Post
jimpaladin said:
Thank you for a very complete idea!
You're welcome!

jimpaladin said:
I ... was thinking on the Identify spell and how as a supposed ritual can be made to be used by more that just a M-U or Sage. Allows a weaponsmith to get in on the action as well as merchants and traders.
Well, we don't know how Identify (or Rituals generally) will work yet. Personally though I plan on basing them off of the Arcana or Religion skills, rather than class levels. You can probably assume that you need the same skills to make Memory Items in the first place, so anyone who is skilled enough to make a Memory Item can also do the ritual.

Also, if you're using the Memory Item mechanic, the Identify Ritual would probably be described as a "delving into the latent memories imprinted onto the blade", sort of a seance, or the Akashic's* ability learn about items he touches. You'd learn how the item works, but only indirectly by also learning about the item's former bearers.

jimpaladin said:
p.s. of course you used cool too much :D
Once is too much? I thought it was a tasteful application. I've "fixed" it now, but you may find the cure to be worse than the disease! :)

*Akashic is a class from Monte Cook's Arcana Unearthed that revolved around reading memories imprinted on animals, places and things.

Last edited:

That One Guy

First Post
I am a lover of story fluff, crunchy things, and magical items that grow with PCs. I remember legacy weapons being sort of like that. I think I'll try to implement something along those lines... it sounds pretty .....nifty.

Totally wanted to say cool, though.

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
Some really interesting ideas here.

This only thing I'm having trouble reconciling is why somebody would commision an item with a Memory Item descriptor in the first place. At first it has no benefits to the weilder. As the weilder gets better, the item picks this up, but isn't the wielder still so proficient that the item offers no additional benefit? How does the item become better than the person using it so as to be worth carrying? Maybe I'm missing something here.

If I'm right then a magic weapon like this become an act of pure ego, or deisre for a family legacy, but if the bearer is killed and the item looted, it could be used against his family and friends. It might be better to rely on one's own abilities than to chance such a thing falling into the wrong hands.

ferratus

Adventurer
The other concern would be that players might carry a sword for awhile, then toss it to a henchmen or sell it. I think you have to come up with a table of properties that manifest based on personality traits. For example, someone who has a fiery temper would cause his sword to get a fire damage bonus.

That way it still hurts the character if he sells it or gives it away.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads