• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Magical Weapon+blade barrier=boom?!?

Leopold

NKL4LYFE
Ok this happend last game and I want to get some opinions on this.

I cast blade barrier (me=DM) and then the PC was trapped in the blade barrier. I tried to use a magic weapon to attack said PC in the blade barrier. The party argued that I was using the weapon to attack INTO the blade barrier and hence would cause damage to the magical weapon.

I rule 0'd that one and decided to post it here.

also, 2 other blade barrier type questions.

Let's say you failed your save and you get chopped up in the blade barrier. On your round can you cast a spell and move or only move? If the spell didn't get pas your SR can you just 'hang out' in there? I thought if you failed your save the only thing you can do is move to get out?

Magic Slim

First Post
3.0 or 3.5?

In 3.5, Blade Barrier provides Cover. That represents the whirling blades deflecting the incoming weapons. IMO the players were wrong. Do other items get shred to bits in the Blade Barrier? Also it's a force effect and doesn't that that it affects items at all.

The 3.0 description was very unclear, but it does state that it provides cover. It also states that anything that passes through the blade barrier takes damage. Maybe in 3.0 that players could be right, but that would mean that ANY item that happens to be in the area of effect gets destroyed. What would then stop anyone from using it to destroy walls and tear down houses?

As for questions regarding escaping the Blade barrier... I'm too confused at the moment to answer anything of that nature :)

Slim

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
Leopold said:
The rules are 3.5
I assume that you mean the defender is on one side of the barrier (or within the ring-shape) and the attacker is on the other side? In 3.5, it's not possible to be trapped within a blade barrier - you're on one side of it or the other.

Furthermore, it's spelled out what the wall does - it damages creatures and provides cover. It doesn't damage objects.

Leopold

NKL4LYFE
the defender is in the blad barrier per se as that round the blad barrier and the opponent is swinging through the blad barrier at him.

Remove ads