Magically Enhanced Natural Attacks?

swordsmasher

First Post
The minoutaur in my group wants to have magical horns (he is asking the group's wizard to make them +2 keen horns). I was wondering if this is possible. thanks

Wardo

First Post
You can get a Druid to cast Greater Magic Fang, and a Wizard to cast Permanency. That takes care of the +2

Last edited:

Joker

First Post
Make a horn cone, which would be similar to a gauntlet in that you still use the regular damage of a horn but you can enhance it. At least, that's how I think it works.

Inigo Carmine

First Post
No, gauntlets let you do unarmed damage, so the minoataur would do 1d4+str with a "horn cone".

Magic Fang is the way to go for magically enhancing natural weapons. Or, if you want something in item form, look at the Amulet of Mighty Fists.

10th man down

First Post
Buy an Amulet of Mighty Fists +X from Savage Species for the Minotaur. Takes care of those plusses and you can slap some enhancements like flaming or wounding on them.

10th

saucercrab

Explorer
10th man down,
You're mixing up two different items.

An amulet of might fists +x from the DMG gives an enhancement bonus to attacks & damage for all natural/unarmed attacks.

A necklace of natural attacks +x (I think that's what it's called) from SS gives an enhancement bonus to attacks & damage, & can have weapon special abilities, but each natural attack will cost separately.

Additionally, bracers of striking from Magic of Faerun can have weapon special abilities (which cost double the gp), but apply to all natural/unarmed attacks.

Quidam

First Post
Hands as Weapons

Not exactly core, but in Arcana Unearthed there is a feat called 'Hands as Weapons' that allows you to enchant hands with weapon enhancements. Maybe consider house-ruling it into your game and letting it apply to horns.

ARandomGod

First Post
Personally, I'd let him do it with metal horn-tips. Flat out, as a weapon.

There is the aforemeantioned Amulet of Mighty Fists. You should note that WoTC has stated that they used the 1.5X price penalty for this item for using a non-affinity slot. (Making it cost 50% more than what they considered base price), you could put it on bracers instead to make it an affinity slot and reduce the price there.

In Eberron there's a battlefist gauntlet for warforged only that costs the exact same as a weapon, can be used as a weapon itself and modifies the warforged's natural attacks (making them magical as well). That may be a bit over the top... but it's out there for comparison.

Cabral

First Post
Theoretically, it should be balanced to enchant his horns as a weapon. This should be handled in game ... in a lighthearted, light RPG session.

1) Get a manicure. Special revitalizing oils and waxes bring out the natural healthy color of the minotaurs horns as well as strengthen them against chipping and breakage. Cost: 300 gp (Same as MW weapon) Time: 1 day+ (1 week?)
2) Wizard annoits the Minotaur's horns and mutters incantations over them, enchanting them, turning the Minotaur's Gore to be a +2 Keen weapon. Cost: 18,000 gp Time: 18 days
3) Party laughs and pokes fun at Minotaur for getting a manicure and references his horns as "Souvenirs from the Spa" ... Cost: Priceless Time: eternal :D

Note: I would treat the Powerful Charge damage like sneak attack damage and not double the extra damage on a critical hit.

Last edited:

Remove ads