• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Major encounter help

meltinbradley

First Post
thanks all

Well thanks for all of you help, but it turns out that I did all that work for nothing.
They went to the city, had some real nice plans, went about finding allies, and one of the PC's must have smoked crack in the bathroom because he blew everyones cover and basically made it impossible for the PC's to have a chance of winning. If they do decide to go on with the mission, Im going to make it 20 times harder, basically they all will die if they continue with the mission.
Now I got players pissed off because this one guy is consistently being a idiot.
oh man...Im afraid Im going to lose players if I keep this guy in.
Thoughts?
Thanks again.
MB

CAFargo

First Post
Now I got players pissed off because this one guy is consistently being a idiot.
Thoughts?

You've really got 4 options before you:

1. Kill the game: Obviously a bad idea! It doesn't do anything to fix the problem, and completely ends any possible that the "idiot" will simply leave the game himself.

2. Do nothing (what I did the first time it came up, a decision I will never let happen again): Chances are, if you follow this path, the game will dissolve as too many of the players leave, and your stuck with the idiot. Never fun!

3. Warn him: Tell him that he is causing "unrest", and warn him that if he doesn't shape up he's going to be kicked out. Of course, kick him out next time he acts up, or he won't take you seriously. This is nicer than option #4, but is far more dangerous.

4. Get rid of him: Tell him that he's ruining the game, and when he doesn't get the hint tell him to leave. Yell if you must. Although harsh, this is the only plan that doesn't risk the dissolution of your group. As it is, you seem pretty desperate, so I would definitely go with this option.

NewJeffCT

First Post
Well thanks for all of you help, but it turns out that I did all that work for nothing.
They went to the city, had some real nice plans, went about finding allies, and one of the PC's must have smoked crack in the bathroom because he blew everyones cover and basically made it impossible for the PC's to have a chance of winning. If they do decide to go on with the mission, Im going to make it 20 times harder, basically they all will die if they continue with the mission.
Thoughts?
Thanks again.
MB

Is the guy an idiot only in game? Or, is he an idiot out of game as well? Is it an innocent idiocy, or mean-spirited? If it's only the former, then you have to ask the other players privately if they can handle him hopefully learning & growing over time? If it's the latter in either case (idiot out of game and/or mean spirited), then you don't need him as a player at your table.

meltinbradley

First Post
hello

CAFargo- This isnt the first time it came up. There was a big blow up from one of the players and he basically layed it out and straight up told the guy he was a :):):):):):):). One of the other players left the game because of him and the 3rd player confronted him the next day about how he is being a :):):):):):):).
This was a few months ago. The idiot has such a big ego he doesnt get it. So was like "thats cool, now we can get (other guy to play)"
The other players called me later saying if we dont get the guy back who left then were leaving too. So I told the idiot. (The idiot was my first friend among the group and I am also very tolerant of people) and told him that he was the problem, and that he needs to shape up or were all leaving.
We were going to leave anyway, but then we heard the surprise that the idiot and the 4th player were going to become roommates. We all like the 4th player and we orginially were playing at the idiots house and now we are playing at his and the 4th players house.
So then there was that awkward feeling of excluding him, but then we would be playing at his house with the 4th player and that felt weird to everyone. Or we could leave, lose the idiot and the 4th player who again, we all like.
So we toughed it out and things IMO have gotten better. And I still think things are better then they were, but apperntly there not as I learned last game.

NewjeFFct= He is considered a idiot out of game by the players. Hes kind of like a 4 year old in a grown man body. I think he seriously doesnt get it. The way he is, is just the way he is, and he just doesnt know. Even when it was explained to him in his face by 3 different players he still didnt get it. I dont know if that makes sense.
I like to have faith in people. But because of the way he is outside of game, and his big ego, he brings that attitude with his PC and ill admit really :):):):)ed up there chance. Me being the DM, im like well he :):):):)ed up, but the players are pissed because they want to game and play and not want the situation there in to get more :):):):)ed up then it all ready is.
So its like if we get rid of him we lose the place to play and probably the 4th player.
So there is more at stake. I would just like everything to work out and everything that has said has been said mutliple times. Players have all ready told him to his face they dont like him but they love the game so they stay.
I guess if it came down to one of the players saying "Im leaving now unless you get rid of him" I would leave and look for other gamers, but I would really hate to lose the 4th player and the sweet pad we have right now.

Shin Okada

Explorer
Well, it seems that at this stage the problem is more of friendship than to be of D&D games.

IMHO it is obvious that you and other players cannot continue to enjoy D&D with the said problematic player anymore.

The more "gentle" (and honest) way is to describe to the problematic player that he has totally different taste on the way playing RPG, so you cannot play D&D games with him anymore. You (or the player 4) may or may not maintain friendship with that player after separating as a gaming group.

Of course, you have to find another place to play D&D. But that is a challenge all the tabletop game players must face sooner or later (and from time to time). There always be some other person's dining, gaming shop's table, some public facilities offering rooms for hobby gathering, or maybe cheap motel. Or you can find some local gaming club which you and other players can join in.

I with you and other players (hopefully the player 4, too) can continue enjoy playing D&D somehow.

Last edited:

freebiewitz

First Post
This is quite easy. Make many many Illusions so that the PC's waste all thier spells. When they finally 'Slay' the death knight have the real undead come out to play along with the real death knight.

Remove ads