• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Major encounter help

NewJeffCT

First Post
Since it is a level 20 party that is attacking, they will most likely also be able to make saves vs "Save or Die" effects and won't be harmed much be a lot of Area of Effect spells. So, some good higher level spells for evil casters would be no save spells like Maze, Otto's Irresistable Dance, Blasphemy is always a good one if the evil caster can boost his level and even Dazes those of equal level, Reverse Gravity, Energy Drain are just from the SRD. How about Forcecage followed by a swarm of shadows to drain their strength while they're in the cage?

Last edited:

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
Don't let them face everything at once. Throw the undead at them in waves with only a round or two in between each wave. While this goes on, have the death knight constantly on the move. Then, after the final wave, have the death knight enter fresh and fully buffed, et cetera. Have it just the death knight vs. the PCs. Multiply the death knight's hit points by the number of PCs left standing, and have the death knight make all saving throws until reduced to less than 50% its hit points.

CAFargo

First Post
Give him items/feats that improve turn resistance (LM has a feat and a cloak for +4 each).

Or you could always dock his power a few CR, then give him turn immunity and watch as the cleric is shocked his powers don't work.

The spell interdiction (Spell Compendium, some other books as well...) blocks of a cleric from his deity. Give him this spell, either as a spell he would just know 'cause of classes or by knocking his power down a bit.

Make the "death knight" really just an old necromancer with an illusion spell that makes him look like a death knight.

NewJeffCT

First Post
Or you could always dock his power a few CR, then give him turn immunity and watch as the cleric is shocked his powers don't work.

The spell interdiction (Spell Compendium, some other books as well...) blocks of a cleric from his deity. Give him this spell, either as a spell he would just know 'cause of classes or by knocking his power down a bit.

Make the "death knight" really just an old necromancer with an illusion spell that makes him look like a death knight.

The death knight is unturnable as written. You don't need to give it to him.

meltinbradley

First Post
thanks everyone!

Shin- I like the idea of the Nightwalker, I checked that out, I will use that. I think Ill pass on the Balor, not that its a bad idea, but I dont want to add demons. I did plan on throwing several different undead encounters to deplete the spell turning, as well as looked at the Skeletal Dragon which I am going to use. Yeah, thankful the death knight is immune to turning, I think skeletal warriors are too, atleast they were in 2nd edition if i remember correctly. Either way im making the skeletal warriors immune as well.

Thanee- There are 3 spell casters in the group and all three have it. But they rarely use it, and I love the idea of illusions. I have thought of some nasty ideas all ready.

NewJeff- I wanted to aviod adding in necromancers or other spell casters, but I think I might, its the only way I think I can nullify the PC who has spell turning. Disjunction works better then dispel.
I meant the party will have no problem with the undead, since there are practically none that have over 35 HD. But if they try teleporting then I all ready have those spells set in. ;) Again, the nightwings are good! Your spells were nice too, maze is cool, as well as Ottos dance.

Herobizkit- Thats nasty!!! haha, and real cheap. But I think I might use that as last resort. So when you fall into the earth do you die or are you trapped?

Ahnehnois- a Artifact sounds good. I will give the Death Knight one, he is powerful enough to have one.

CAFFargo- Spell interdiction is nice! I was looking at that too!

Is there any items/feats/spells that protect from positive energy or or convert it to negative energy?

I was also thinking of Vile damage, damage that cant be healed unless in a hallow space.
Thanks for all your advice.
MB

NewJeffCT

First Post
Is there any items/feats/spells that protect from positive energy or or convert it to negative energy?

I was also thinking of Vile damage, damage that cant be healed unless in a hallow space.
Thanks for all your advice.
MB

There is a ring of positive energy protection that would completely protect its wearer from positive energy. It's in the Magic Item Compendium.

Vile damage is a good idea - when the PCs can't heal the damage through regular cure spells, it could cause them to panic. Have several minor creatures (dogs, cats, rats, bats, even a 1st level commoner from the village) and have them unwittingly implanted with Necrotic Cysts. Then, when they get close enough to the party, have an evil caster cast Necrotic Eruption, the dog, cat, commoner fails its Will save and hits them for damage in a 20 foot radius, with half being vile damage.

And, if you don't want to add a living necromancer, you could always make it a lich.

meltinbradley

First Post
thanks

necrotic cysts? I like that, its in the book of vile darkness?
I was thinking of having a living wizard with a illusion of a undead, so they use positive energy to heal him when they believe he is undead...I think that might work.

Shin Okada

Explorer
Libris Mortis also has the section which shows variants of existing monster templates. You can fine Fiend Lich there. With that rule, you can make, say, Balor Lich or Ak'chazar Rakshasa lich. Corpe/Skeletal creature template in BoVD may work, too.

Another interesting way to create stronger undead minion is to apply Mobs rule (DMG II) to incorporeal undead creatures.

NewJeffCT

First Post
necrotic cysts? I like that, its in the book of vile darkness?
I was thinking of having a living wizard with a illusion of a undead, so they use positive energy to heal him when they believe he is undead...I think that might work.

Libris Mortis, pg 67 starts the Necrotic Cyst spells.

If you really want to be mean, have innocent children implanted with the cysts... have the PCs free them, only to suddenly find the kids exploding in Necrotic Eruptions of vile damage (15d6 max, half vile). Necrotic Eruption is a level 6 spell, so can be maximized or empowered. It's a Fort save as well, so no Improved Evasion or regular Evasion against it.

And, somebody else had come up with the Necrotic Eruption spell idea in a thread on liches a few months back, so I can't take credit for it overall.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads