D&D General Major League D&D

generic

On that metempsychosis tweak
image (2).jpg

As you can see from the beautiful logo above, the Major League culture has finally come to Dungeons and Dragons, or, it can, with your help.

What tropes would be an element of "MLD" D&D?

What are the table-top equivalents of OBEY hats, Doritos, and other things which I'm probably not allowed to mention?

This isn't a serious thread, but it could be.

69 MLD Fireball it

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Foam "We're Number One" Finger you can put on your mini after you roll a Crit for an attack roll.
Your target's mini gets a placard to wear that looks like somebody dripped ketchup and mustard on it - or a placard that looks like broken-open peanut shells. Because you are about to eat his lunch.

PS. Either the second 'D' or the background should be a not-red color.

Unwise

Adventurer
1. A key cleric being kicked out of the party/team because they made a political statement on twitter.

"Losing their main healer just before a dragon-fight. Things have gone from bad to worse for the Ottowa Owlbears Jim. This will really hurt their rankings this season!"
"I guess they should have invested more into that low-level NPC cleric Bob. Depth is important in a roster."

2. A 1000+% pay disparity based on the player's gender.

3. Banners of a blind beholder to taunt the DM/Ref for making a bad call.

4. Dice jails in the player dugouts.

5. Fans ritualistically 'blessing' the players dice as they walk into the stadium

6. Players that loath each other being forced to play together in the same adventuring party

generic

Foam "We're Number One" Finger you can put on your mini after you roll a Crit for an attack roll.
Your target's mini gets a placard to wear that looks like somebody dripped ketchup and mustard on it - or a placard that looks like broken-open peanut shells. Because you are about to eat his lunch.

PS. Either the second 'D' or the background should be a not-red color.
Oh I know, I designed it in about 3 seconds. Thanks for the suggestions!

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I recognise “Major League” as an American phrase but I realise I don’t actually have a clue what it is. Could you explain for those of us who live elsewhere? It’s (American) football related, I assume?

generic

I recognise “Major League” as an American phrase but I realise I don’t actually have a clue what it is. Could you explain for those of us who live elsewhere? It’s (American) football related, I assume?
No, it's actually related to a company, and an associated set of cultural references having to do with professional gaming and such. Major League Gaming was a company owned by Activision Blizzard, and the term "MLG" (Major League Gamer or Major League Gaming) is used to refer to professional gamers, and/or jokingly used to refer to a certain subset of video-gaming culture.

The MLG subculture itself has been characterized by OBEY hats, drugs and drug references, certain brands of soft drink and/or snacks, and many, many other things, like the numbers 420 (a drug reference), 360, and 69.

It's often used as a meme of sorts.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter

More broadly, "major league" is a reference to US professional sports structure. Not just football - the same basic structure is used for football, baseball, hockey, basketball, and other team sports.

We have major leagues, minor leagues, and college sports. The minor leagues and college sports are where players typically get their start, and good players are then transferred up to the major leagues. Minor leagues are also sometimes called "developmental leagues" as this is where players can develop their skills and abilities before hitting the majors.

Typically: college sports teams are associated with a university or college. Minor league sports teams are associated with smaller towns. Major league sports are associated with States or larger metropolitan areas.

R_J_K75

Legend
Funny I was thinking of starting a D&D 5E game set in a gaming league of some sort. Just started giving some thought to it just within the last week or so. Its probably gonna be some kind of tournament MMA/gladiator set in Ysgard. Thats about as far as I got.

Remove ads