Make me a warlord

hong

WotC's bitch
So, we should be playing KotS this weekend. I've decided to try something different and play a warlord for a change. We'll see how long it takes before I get bored and go back to my usual munchy striker schtick. I've also been reminded of how annoying that annoying player was who made me quit our Age of Worms game last time, so we'll also see how long it takes before I blow up at him again. But I digress.

No books here with me, though, and I'm too principled prudent lazy to get the pdfs. Any ideas for creating a warlord? I was thinking a human with action surge and that daily power that gives everyone +Int to attacks for the encounter.

Kzach

Banned
Banned
I've found Warlord to be a tough class to optimise well. It has a minor case of MAD and the point-buy system doesn't accommodate MAD very well.

Did you want a charismatic warlord (inspiring) or an intelligent warlord (tactical)?

Rystil Arden

First Post
hong said:
So, we should be playing KotS this weekend. I've decided to try something different and play a warlord for a change. We'll see how long it takes before I get bored and go back to my usual munchy striker schtick. I've also been reminded of how annoying that annoying player was who made me quit our Age of Worms game last time, so we'll also see how long it takes before I blow up at him again. But I digress.

No books here with me, though, and I'm too principled prudent lazy to get the pdfs. Any ideas for creating a warlord? I was thinking a human with action surge and that daily power that gives everyone +Int to attacks for the encounter.
One important thing--don't be tempted to max out Int (or Cha if you're Inspiring, but it looks like you're Tactical). Warlords care about Strength much more than any other stat because they need to hit with their Strength-based attacks in order to give most of their boosts. High-precision weapons are better than high-damage weapons in that regard as well, since you almost-always care more about the rider on a hit than you do about the damage. Since you'll be up close and personal with the bad guys, you're probably going to want to have at least 13 Con so you can eventually get Scale Armour (though Heavy Shield will be a no-brainer because you'll surely have enough Strength and it gives you more of a benefit).

A Human might have a lot of trouble juggling the stats that might be useful for a Warlord with their smaller stat bonuses, but there aren't that many majorly effective choices except maybe Dragonborn (or Tiefling for those who double-dip in the Int and Cha powers). The Human feats are both excellent, however, so you'll have plenty of feats to buy on the heroic tier (the Human feats and Heavy Shield are no-brainers, and Tactical Assault is useful too for Tactical Warlords).

VannATLC

First Post
By the power vested in my through the FSM, I dub thee Dux hong.

/hands you a Legion.

I've recreated my 3.5 Character, in a way that does reasonable credit to him. He was a warmage, now he's a Warlord with the Wizard Feat.

Its not optimized in any real sense, however.

Aust Diamondew

First Post
Rystil Arden said:
you're probably going to want to have at least 13 Con so you can eventually get Scale Armour (though Heavy Shield will be a no-brainer because you'll surely have enough Strength and it gives you more of a benefit).

Keep in mind if you're you've got a high enough intelligence (+18) its better just to go with hide armor over chain or even scale (if you take the feat) in most situations.

That is until you can start wearing masterwork armors (mid teens), that will usually swing it back in favor of heavy armor over light armor for warlords.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Aust Diamondew said:
Keep in mind if you're you've got a high enough intelligence (+18) its better just to go with hide armor over chain or even scale (if you take the feat) in most situations.

That is until you can start wearing masterwork armors (mid teens), that will usually swing it back in favor of heavy armor over light armor for warlords.
It's unlikely for a non-Tiefling (or Eladrin I guess) Warlord to get an 18 in Int until level 8 at earliest (I mean, I suppose you could do it with a Human, but you're severely penalising yourself if your highest stat isn't Str, since then your buffs that require hits don't hit the bad guy and they don't work), and by then, you're pretty close to the upgraded armour types.

Spatula

Explorer
Human Int-based Warlord 1
Code:
STR 18 +4	HP 24		Bloodied 12
CON 12 +1	Surge 6		Srg/Day 8
DEX 11 +0	AC 17		½ Lvl +0
INT 14 +2	Fort 16		Init +2
WIS 10 +0	Refl 13		Move 5
CHA 13 +1	Will 13
Skills: Athletics +8 (+9 naked), Diplomacy +6, Heal +5, History +7, Intimidate +6

Feats: Tactical Assault, Action Surge

Abilities: Combat Leader (aura 10; allies get +2 init), Commanding Presence (when ally spends AP for extra attack, gets +1 hit/+2 dmg)

Longsword: +7 vs AC; 1d8+4 dmg
Javelin: +6 vs AC; 1d6+4 dmg; range 10/20

At-Will Exploits:
Commander’s Strike: standard action; ally makes basic melee attack vs target w/+2 dmg
Viper’s Strike: +7 vs AC; 1d8+4 dmg + if target shifts before start of next action, provokes OA from ally
Wolf Pack Tactics: +7 vs AC; 1d8+4 dmg; before attack, ally adjacent to you or target shifts 1 as free action

Encounter Exploits:
Warlord’s Favor: +7 vs AC; 2d8+4 dmg + ally within 5 gets +3 hit vs target until end of next turn
Inspiring Word: minor action, close burst 5; you or ally can spend surge +1d6 HP (usable 2/encounter but only 1/round)

Daily Exploits:
Bastion of Defense: +7 vs AC; 3d8+4 dmg + allies within 5 gain +1 to all defenses until end of encounter; allies within 5 gain 6 temp HP

Utility Exploits:
none

Equipment: longsword, dagger, javelin, chainmail, light shield, gp

You could also knock the STR down to 16 and upgrade the INT to 16. Commanding Presence gets +1 dmg, Commander's Strike gets +1 dmg, and Warlord's Favor gets +1 to hit with a 16 INT. And Reflex goes up by 1. The lower STR means -1 to hit, -1 damage on all attacks, and -1 Fortitude. Plus the skill bonuses would be different.

Last edited:

Family

First Post
Name: Hong
Level: 1
XP: 0
Race: Human
Role: Leader
Class: Warlord
Build: Tactical
Source: Martial
Size: Medium
Height: 6’2”
Weight: 200lbs
Alignment: Unaligned
Deity: Erathis

Initiative: +2 (+2 class)
Action Points: 1
Max Hit Points: 33hp
Bloodied: 16hp
Healing: 8hp
Surges: 7/day
2nd Wind: 1/encounter
Movement: 6
Vision: Normal
Passive Insight: 10
Passive Perception: 10

AC: 16 (+6 armor)
Fort: 17 (+5 str, +1 race, +1 class)
Ref: 13 (+2 int, +1 race)
Will: 12 (+1 race, +1 class)

+5 Str: 20 (+2 race)
+0 Con: 11
+0 Dex: 10
+2 Int: 14
-1 Wis: 8
+0 Cha: 10

Skills:
+0 Acrobatics dex
+2 Arcana int
+10 Athletics str (+5 trnd)
+0 Bluff cha
+5 Diplomacy cha (+5 trnd)
-1 Dungeoneering wis
+0 Endurance con
+4 Heal wis (+5 trnd)
+7 History int (+5 trnd)
-1 Insight wis
+5 Intimidate cha (+5 trnd)
-1 Nature wis
-1 Perception wis
+2 Religion int
+0 Stealth dex
+0 Streetwise cha
+0 Thievery dex
Languages: Common, Giant.
Proficiencies: cloth, leather, hide, & chainmail armor; light shield; simple ranged, simple melee, martial melee

Gold: 20g
Equipment: 80lbs out of 200lbs
-Chainmail Armor +6 AC, 40lbs
-Falchion, 2d4, high crit, 7lbs
-SAK: a backpack, a bedroll, flint and steel, a belt pouch, two sunrods, ten days’ worth of trail rations, 50 feet of hempen rope, and a waterskin. 33lbs

Class Features:
Combat Leader: You and each ally within 10 squares who can see and hear you gains a +2 power bonus to initiative.

Tactical Presence: When an ally you can see spends an action point to make an extra attack, the ally gains a +1 (half int) to hit.

Feats:
Action Surge: You gain a +3 to attack rolls gained by spending an action point.

Tactical Assault: When an ally who can see you spends an action point to make an attack, the damage roll gains a +2 (int).

Base Melee Attack: Falchion
+8 vs AC (+5 str, +3 prof)
Hit: 2d4+5 (str), high crit

AT WILL POWERS:
Viper’s Strike: Martial, Weapon
Standard action, melee weapon
Target: One creature
Attack: +8 (str, prof) vs. AC
Hit: 2d4+5 (str)
Effect: If the target shifts before the start of your next turn, it provokes an opportunity attack from an ally of your choice.

Wolf Pack Tactics: Martial, Weapon
Special: Before you attack, you let one ally adjacent to either you or the target shift 1 square as a free action.
Hit: 2d4+5 (str).

Commander’s Strike: Martial, Weapon
An ally of your choice makes a melee basic attack against the target
Hit: Ally’s basic attack damage +2 (int).

ENCOUNTER POWERS:
Inspiring Word: Martial, Healing
Special: You can use this power twice per encounter, but only once per round.
Minor action, Close burst 5
Target: You or one ally in burst
Effect: The target can spend a healing surge and regain an additional 1d6 hit points.

Warlord’s Favor: Martial, Weapon
Hit: 4d8+5 (str)
One ally within 5 squares of you gains a +3 (1+int) power bonus to attack rolls against the target until the end of your next turn.

DAILY POWERS:
Lead the Attack: Martial, Weapon
Hit: 6d8+5 (str)
Hit: Until encounter’s end, you and each ally in 5 squares of you gain a +3 (1+int) power bonus to attacks against the target.
Miss: Until encounter’s end, you and each ally in 5 squares of you gain a +1 power bonus to attack rolls against the target.

---
Build time down to 37 minutes. :)

SSquirrel

Explorer
We like a bit more power in our starting stats so we use 1 each of 13-18. No equipment, but here's the basics.

Race - Human
Class - Warlord
Level - 1
HP - 29
AC -
Fort - +6
Ref - +6
Will - +6
Align -
God -
Healing Surges:10
Surge Strength:7