Make Your Case: Two Great Things You Need to Recommend

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Nice House on the Lake (DC Horror Comic) by James Tynion IV - a very modern post apocalyptic horror story where the world is destroyed, but a dozen people are saved and stuck in an artificial house (on a lake) because a powerful entity (involved in the destruction) grew fond of them.

Exterminate All the Brutes (Documentary Series) - a personal look at slavery and genocide. Not a very fun watch, but an interesting and educational one.

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
Cobra Kai is brilliant. Somehow it's better than it's source material and ticks all the boxes for old/new etc.

That season 2 cliffhanger ouch.
Cobra Kai is so good and does unexpected things. And season 4 begins Dec 31 on Netflix here in the USA! :)

Zardnaar

Legend
Cobra Kai is so good and does unexpected things. And season 4 begins Dec 31 on Netflix here in the USA! :)

I know. We're going through or watch list. It's gonna be a busy month espicially with holidays for binge watching.

Cobra Kai one of the best shows on atm imho.

Haiku Elvis

Knuckle-dusters, glass jaws and wooden hearts.
As it's Christmas - Anna and Apocalypse is currently on Prime in the UK. Clearly the greatest Christmas Zombie Musical arround.
Plus sticking with things you can watch for free on Prime. I know it's a few years old now but how come "Into The Badlands" never got the love. Game of Thrones meets Mad Max meets Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon. The post appocalyptic wuxia fantasy power games/ mystical quest drama that frankly we deserve.

Mercurius

Legend
Station Eleven on HBO. Sort of a mixture of Leftovers, the Walking Dead, and paean to art.

Invasion on Apple. I wouldn't call it great, but I really like the slow-burn approach to alien invasion.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
I need to recommend a podcast to you fine folk:
The Magnus Archives.

The Magnus Archives is a weekly horror fiction anthology podcast examining what lurks in the archives of the Magnus Institute, an organisation dedicated to researching the esoteric and the weird. Join new head archivist Jonathan Sims as he attempts to bring a seemingly neglected collection of supernatural statements up to date, converting them to audio and supplementing them with follow-up work from his small but dedicated team.

Individually, they are unsettling. Together they begin to form a picture that is truly horrifying because as they look into the depths of the archives, something starts to look back…

Written and performed by Jonathan Sims

Directed and produced by Alexander J Newall.

Recurring cast: Jonathan Sims as The Archivist, Alexander J Newall as Martin Blackwood, Ben Meredith, Sasha Sienna, Lydia Nicholas, Mike LeBeau, Alasdair Stuart, Jon Gracey, Paul Sims, Sue Sims, Frank Voss, Hannah Brankin, Lottie Broomhall, Jessica Law.

Edited by Annie Fitch, Elizabeth Moffatt, Brock Winstead

Music by Samuel DF Jones

The Magnus Archives Wiki

The Magnus Archives Reddit

The Magnus Archives IMDB

It is practically begging to be converted into a Call of Cthulhu campaign setting.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
Everyone* needs to stop what they're doing and play 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim

It's a PS4 game that is coming (already out?) on the Switch as well. The first thing to know is that it's anime as hell. How anime? At one point you have a giant robot battle while a pop idol sings for you from space. And it's AWESOME.

*Of course, being anime as hell might be an immediate turnoff for you, so don't let me stop you for excusing yourself from the class. That said, my partner started calling it "your dumb anime game", but after she started catching bits and pieces she started asking "can you play more for your dumb anime game?"

The game itself is split into three distinct modes: the first is the 2D adventure game where you will pick one of the 13 protagonists to explore, talk to people, and unlock branches in their narrative. The second is a real-time strategy psuedo-tower defense where everyone's in giant mechas. You will murder hundreds of enemies in singular attacks. It's great. The third is an analysis/archive which helps keep track of everything you've learned to that point and which you'll likely need to refer back to regularly because holy crap is there a lot that happens in this game.
In this game you and/your characters will:
*Protect an adorable alien from the government
*Meet-cute an amnesiac time-travelling hitman
*Get stuck in a timeloop at a train station
*Hide from Terminators
*Solve the mystery of the destroyed bathroom
*Shoot witches with a magic gun at the behest of a talking cat from the future
*Deal with unwanted house guests

And that's just a part of the beginning of the story. The game wears all of its inspirations on its sleeve, winking and laughing as it dances around endless tropes and references, gleefully tossing aside expectations at every turn. It's a lot of things, but primarily it's a story about stories and why we tell them.

There's always so much going on, every answer opens multiple new questions, and you will have to radically reconsider everything you think you know about what's actually happening on a regular basis. It's the sort of game that will close out an early scene taking place in 2024, and then open the next scene with a title stating "Half a year later - 1985". The game is not at all interested in explaining to you what is going on at first.

I'll leave one last pitch a fellow who LP'ed the game named Wooliee:
"I've figured out the commercial for this game. You know how horror movie trailers will show the audience reactions? Just the audience :poop:ing their pants? That's what this game needs... just a bunch of reactions of people getting their minds blown out of their 😘ing skulls. 'What?!' 'But how?!' 'Wait no...' 'That can't-' 'That doesn't make any-' 'Space?!' 'CEO?!'... 'MOM?!' Then bam- '13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim, available now.'"

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Station Eleven on HBO. Sort of a mixture of Leftovers, the Walking Dead, and paean to art.

I finished Station Eleven a short while ago.

It was amazing.

For anyone on the fence, I would say the following two things-

1. Yes, the subject matter might be a little intense given what we are going through the last two years.

2. There are some truly heartbreaking moments (Episode 7 crushed me) but overall it's a beautiful, magical, and hopeful homage to art and the power it has to help us cope with difficult times.

Remove ads