D&D 5E Making 5E Feel Old School

Bupp

Adventurer
Genuine question here: why not just play the older editions instead of trying to make 5E feel like them???
Because while the DM may have played those older editions, many newer players have not. It's easier to get players to play 5e with some house rules than it is to get them to play a different edition.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
My personal favorite OSR treatment of 5E is 5 Torches Deep. There are some sweet bespoke mechanics in there that I've started to use in normal 5E (mostly the encumbrance and SUP rules, but also some other bits and bobs).

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Because while the DM may have played those older editions, many newer players have not. It's easier to get players to play 5e with some house rules than it is to get them to play a different edition.
When I introduced two of our 5E players to AD&D 1E, they loved it because it had lot of different rules for how things were done.

I think showing them 1E/2E or B/X or whatever will give them a good feel for it, and then they can decide if they want to morph 5E over. For myself and our group, I am finding it easier to just show them the older editions. shrug YMMV. :)

Remove ads