Making a Crossbow Expert

Darthjaye

First Post
Ranger or Scout with levels and if you are allowed to use it in 3.5 or are using 3.0 rules, use Deep Wood Sniper. I would say use Scout class and throw in Shot on The Run and if you have enough Feats take the Woodland Archer feat from Races of the Wild.

werk

First Post
Goldmoon said:
TWF with light crossbows. Im kidding of course. What if you could though.... :eek:

You can, just reloading kinda sucks. Repeating crossbows on the other hand...

EDIT: excellent suggestion SZilard!

Fenris

Adventurer
I wouldgo with a Fighter 5/Rogue 4 build. That will give you some skills to play with, but a couple of SA dice to go along with Crossbow sniper. Even a non-human will have 6 feats to play with: WF, WS, PBS, RR, RL and CS. Go human and you can pick up IC (since you will have a +8 Bab right at 9th). With the light crossbow that should make you pretty darn good.

Korak

First Post
Human, Rog7Ftr2... first level rogue, levels 2-3 fighter, levels 4-9 rogue

Bump dex to 20, or if you want the skill points, put one in int and one in dex... you can be the party rogue if you want to work that into your concept as well.

Feats:
Human: Point Blank Shot
Level1: Precise Shot
Fighter1: Rapid Reload
Level3: Rapid Shot
Fighter2: Weapon Focus (Light Crossbow)
Level6: Crossbow Sniper (PHB II)
Level9: Telling Blow (PHB II)

Take Improved Critical at level 12. Take Rogue levels the rest of the way, unless your DM consistantly throws you against enemies immune to sneak attack or with very high AC... then consider more fighter levels for the base attack and further feats.

You can always add keen to the crossbow if you don't want to spend the feat slot... just depends on what you are more short on, feats, or coin.

pawsplay

Hero
You can always buy keen bolts and load them when facing living opponents.

My william tell of the crossbow: human, I think.

1 Rogue 1 - point blank shot, precise shot
2 Fighter 1 - weapon focus (light crossbow)
3 Rogue 2 - crossbow sniper
4 Fighter 2 - rapid reload
5 Rogue 3
6 Fighter 3 - rapid fire
7 Fighter 4 - far shot
8 Rogue 4
9 Fighter 5 - weapon specilization (light crossbow)
10 Fighter 6 - improved initiative
11 Fighter 7
12 Fighter 8 - improved precise shot

then finish out with rogue levels, fell shot, power critical, whatever your thing is. Modest sneak attack bonus combined with earliest possible access to improved precise shot.

Last edited:

Remove ads