• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Making a Divine Avatar

Macbeth

First Post
So, in the game I get to run once every few months when I go home, my players came up with a brilliant plan for reviving the 'dead' god from one of the Demiplanes (exact name escapes me) in the DM's Guide to Demiplanes by Ronin Arts. As written, the PCs should not be able to revive the god, but the PCs made a great effort and did som real creative stuff, inclduing geting almost every creature on the demiplane to help (with various promises, skill checks, and other gimmicks).

Note: IN my campaign the 'true' gods are long gone, having defeated an ancient evil (losing many of their number). They moved to another realm of space (since this is a spelljammer style swashbuckling campaign). The god they revived was almost killed in this ancient battle, and is, at this point, the only true god around. All other gods are minor constructs of people's faith, using small god rules from Path of Faith.

So, for brining him back to life, the god (whom I decided was a god of War), offered the PCs a boon. One of them, the party's fast thinker (an ex-pirate who washed up at a monastary and is now a hard drinking monk), decided to ask to be the God's avatar, his chief mortal operative.

For some reason, I said yes. It seemed like something the god would be happy with, and the PCs liked it, so I didn't want to just veto it.

And now I have no idea how to pull this off. The PCs are around 8th level, and since its about time for them to train for another level (they have enough xp), I'm willing to give him a good bit of power. How should I represent this? I want it to be something kind of special, maybe a template. If nothing else, I can fall back on giving him a level of Favored Soul, but I've already established that favored souls aren't that unique, so I'm not sure about that. Any ideas?

BSF

Explorer
Bastardize something from Divine Rank 0?

Some ideas to explore.
- Change type to Outsider.
- Max HP with each level
- Change speed to 60' instead of 30'
- DR 10/Epic seems a little high at 8th level. Change it to DR 1/Epic for every 2 levels, in this case DR 4/Epic?
- Not sure about adding immunity to transmutations, Energy Drain, Ability Drain, Ability Damage, and Mind Affecting Effects.
- Energy resistance: Fire 5
- Spell Resistance of 32 + Divine Rank is too powerful at 8th level. I would skip that.

An alternative would be to grant the PC gestalt status as a Favored Soul. The PC won't be special because of being a Favored Soul, he will be special because he is a Gestalt Favored Soul.

Those are my quick ideas. I'll post more if I think of them.

Storyteller01

First Post
If you want to have him NOT choose to be an avatar...

The 'Path of Faith' book has the divine avatar template. Lots of power, but your stuck with fortitude saves for the rest of your life. Let him run with that for a while, and see if he still wants to be an avatar (godly power in a mortal shell not created for the purpose of being an avatar?). The +5 ECL will hurt a bit as well.

or (if you don't mind the avatar bit)...

You could give him levels as the Avatar or Paragon Legendary Class. Stipulate that he is in equilibrim: he doesn't have to take the other levels. However, if he chooses to continue in that class he must complete the process, per the Legendary class rules.

My two cents...

Last edited:

domino

First Post
God of war, huh?

I'd say, boost hit die, or max HP per level, boost to strength, bonus with whatever the god's favored weapon is, some relevant spell like abilities, etc...

Remove ads