D&D General Making cards and would love to know what are the most used equipment in your games.

Xercium

Villager
I am making cards for our campaign just for fun. But I want to make like the most used items first. Right now I made all items that the artificer can replicate and some potion. I am working with artwork of the original books WotC / dndbeyond as much as a can, so players know the items. The image bellow is just some random cards I made, right now I have about 80.

The card back is from a logo that my DM made for his world. The artwork is from various (most is WotC) and some I did myself, the rest of the card is my original design.

What do you guys think are the must make cards?

CardTable.png

Xercium

Villager
With traditional magic items, cards will certainly work great! I should eventually do it anyway for our games...

One perk of the cards, is that the DM is actually handing over to the players a physical token of what they earned from treasure. I believe it should feel more rewarding to keep a few cards with a picture of the object (even if you choose not to write rules on it) than to write it onto the character sheet, so go for it 😄
Yes that is the reason we want it. You can have a binder with you items in, it will look amazing and you see you character grow it feels. 😊

aco175

Legend
I tried cards for my last campaign. I just had Microsoft Publisher and made 1/4 sheet items for magic items. They were kind of basic from the OP. I had a set of placed items like a +1 sword with a 1/rest ability that I thought would fit the fighter and another set of magic items that I thought they would find handy and used it as a random set. In this set there was things like a bag of holding and cloak of protection. These I had in treasure but let the players pick a card like in a magic trick.

The players liked to get the random items and extra potions and such come in handy.

Xercium

Villager
I tried cards for my last campaign. I just had Microsoft Publisher and made 1/4 sheet items for magic items. They were kind of basic from the OP. I had a set of placed items like a +1 sword with a 1/rest ability that I thought would fit the fighter and another set of magic items that I thought they would find handy and used it as a random set. In this set there was things like a bag of holding and cloak of protection. These I had in treasure but let the players pick a card like in a magic trick.

The players liked to get the random items and extra potions and such come in handy.
Yeah having a treasure chest with some cards in it is like opening a booster box. It is a fun thing to do.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
I made cards for our family game and originally thought I'd make equipment cards as well, but eventually I ended up taking a completely upside-down approach, and made cards based on action types.

So we have red cards for anything that takes a regular action, blue cards for bonus actions, yellow cards for reactions, green cards for anything that takes long enough so that it's not doable in combat but can be done within a short rest, brown cards for special stuff that takes longer than a short rest, and grey cards for modifiers that take no action at all.

I design and print cards on a need basis, meaning that I don't try to have all cards for every class ready beforehand: I see what my players choose at next level, and make only the cards they need.

These include spells, (sub)class features, racial features and feats. They could also include equipment and magic items but for a couple of reasons I am not doing those yet for the time being. The main reason being, the whole purpose of our cards is to remember what your PC can do in combat within the action economy (like, what else can I do with my action, do I have time to do something else with my bonus action etc.), and also to have the full text on the card instead of having to flip through rulebooks while playing. At the very beginning, I thought I'd have cards for each basic weapon, but since they don't really have much rules to remember besides attack bonuses, they just get written on the character sheet. Magic weapons could be written to cards, but typically I like them to be mysterious, with properties to discover or develop over time, and making a card that tells everything doesn't suit that approach to magic item for me.
You dont happen to have them saved somewhere in digital format? I'd kill for that kind of thing.

Li Shenron

Legend
You dont happen to have them saved somewhere in digital format? I'd kill for that kind of thing.
Yes. I can share some ready to print pdfs or the original files made with a free software called StrangeEons, if someone wants to edit them.

I would have shared them long ago on the forums if it wasn't for the fact that they are full of pictures randomly found on the web and probably shouldn't be redistributed publicly without permission and/or being credited. I think sharing privately is fair use.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
Yes. I can share some ready to print pdfs or the original files made with a free software called StrangeEons, if someone wants to edit them.

I would have shared them long ago on the forums if it wasn't for the fact that they are full of pictures randomly found on the web and probably shouldn't be redistributed publicly without permission and/or being credited. I think sharing privately is fair use.
If you are at ease with it, I'd be glad if you could send them my way. If not, thanks much for the software's name, I'll try and make my own!

Remove ads