D&D 5E Making Every Class "Short Rest"-based?

Should all classes be based on short-rests for recover of features, etc.?

Joshy

Explorer
I was just wondering this not to long ago. I'm not sure how I would do the casters. Probably only regain spell levels 1-5 on a short rest and 6-9 on a long rest. The short rest spells would obviously have to be reduced. Maybe use spell points and 1/2 them or something. Not counting the 6-9 spell slots.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I was just wondering this not to long ago. I'm not sure how I would do the casters. Probably only regain spell levels 1-5 on a short rest and 6-9 on a long rest. The short rest spells would obviously have to be reduced. Maybe use spell points and 1/2 them or something. Not counting the 6-9 spell slots.
Going by the adventuring day guidelines (which I know most groups don’t actually follow, but bear with me,) 1/short rest is equivalent to 3/day, since the guidelines recommended two short rests each adventuring day. For abilities like 6th-9th level spells, I agree keeping them 1/day makes sense - that is essentially what Mystic Arcana are for warlocks.

Joshy

Explorer
Going by the adventuring day guidelines (which I know most groups don’t actually follow, but bear with me,) 1/short rest is equivalent to 3/day, since the guidelines recommended two short rests each adventuring day. For abilities like 6th-9th level spells, I agree keeping them 1/day makes sense - that is essentially what Mystic Arcana are for warlocks.
Exactly, I use a spell point variant from time to time and when I do I only add up the 5th level slots. The higher slots are basicaly long rest abilities.

Horwath

Legend
Only if short rest is really SHORT.

1hr is not short rest.

1 to 5 min is short rest.

But spells should be really watered down or have them on some split in power levels in short/long rest mechanics.

but as we also have rituals and at will mechanics, that will come down to some variant of 4E AEDU power curve.

Remove ads