Making guns palatable in high fantasy [Design Theory]

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Mundane ranged weapons and alchemical grenades are an integral part of most of my high-Dex PCs- especially Monks- to soften up foes and control the battlefield.

Glade Riven

Adventurer
On the lethality of swords in movies..Lancelot did mow down half a wedding entorage with a sword.

Gun-fu also has a tendency to lessen the deadliness of firearms in movies, unless it's a mow-down-the-mooks scene. Doubly true in most anime.

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Haaaah, I stand corrected.

I always forget about those darn humans.

And [MENTION=6957]TheAuldGrump[/MENTION], how so? I'm curious.
Among other things, a wizard with more kills to his name than the fighter (at second and third level) - not because of spells, but because he was a dab hand with a light crossbow.

His feats went into being a wizard, but even at later levels the fighter would introduce him as 'the steadiest hand with a crossbow that I have ever met'. :)

Good Dex, for the AC bonus, but not a single feat. And human, not elf.

Half-Elf fighter-sorcerer - feats went into hand to hand, aiming at the obvious prestige class, would start combat off by shooting the person that she thought was the enemy leader. Did take feats later, but effective at level 2. Liked poison, when she could get it. Again, good Dex. Hiding the fact that she was a half elf. (Elves had disappeared from the world, and were only now coming back.)

A lot of it was luck, but other was just using the bow/crossbow when it was most useful. Sometimes neither Eric nor Jen would use their spells, because bolts and arrows did the job.

Both kept their weapons long after they stopped relying on them. The half elf actually got better with hers, liking the idea of popping through the shadows and taking a shot. (She ended up being the most multiclassed character in the game, taking rogue and prestige classes on top of sorcerer and fighter.)

At higher levels, there were some specialized characters, with bows, crossbows, and handgonnes. (As you may guess, I made blackpowder weapons martial, not exotic. High damage, short range, good crit multiplier but no bonus to critting. 2 silver per shot, including ball and powder. Muskets, also available, got longer ranges, but were otherwise the same. Using a musket rest gave a further bonus to range.)

But at low and mid levels, there were some fairly deadly shootists, even without that many feats.

Things were different for the Orc and Elf War scenarios (C. 1750 in our world - orcs and elves against humans; dwarfs and ogres were hired mercenaries). As Pathfinder puts it 'Guns Everywhere' - farmers, militia, trappers, scouts, coachmen, rivermen, guns, well, everywhere. The elves still used bows, but for their silence and speed. Both the orcs and the elves tended to harass the human troops by night, and the elves would pay the orcs for any human scalps they could take. (Sound familiar? French & Indian War....)

Most of the kills were with guns, because everybody had guns. Not a crossbow in sight, and only the elves and some orcs used bows. (Other orcs used guns.)

Cannonades, grapeshot, terrain to channel the foe into a killing box.... But meanwhile the humans were pissing off those orcs that could have been their allies.

The Auld Grump

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
For me, I had a halfling ray/orb focused spellcaster...meaning he had several of the feats required to make for a decent D&D archer, so he carried a sling big enough for grenade-like weapons.

TheAuldGrump

First Post
For me, I had a halfling ray/orb focused spellcaster...meaning he had several of the feats required to make for a decent D&D archer, so he carried a sling big enough for grenade-like weapons.
Heh, now I am picturing a Pathfinder alchemist - in my head he is nicknamed Morty the Mortar....

The Auld Grump

Herobizkit

Adventurer
IIRC, Patihfinder has brought back the sling-staff in some form or other.

[edit] They sure did!

Sling Staff, Halfling

Made from a specially designed sling attached to a short club, a halfling sling staff can be used by a proficient wielder to devastating effect.

Description: Your Strength modifier applies to damage rolls when you use a halfling sling staff just as it does for thrown weapons. You can fire, but not load, a halfling sling staff with one hand. You can hurl ordinary stones with a halfling sling staff, but stones are not as dense or as round as bullets. Thus, such an attack deals damage as if the weapon were designed for a creature one size category smaller than you and you take a –1 penalty on attack rolls. A halfling sling staff can be used as a simple weapon that deals bludgeoning damage equal to that of a club of its size.

Action: Loading a halfling sling staff is a move action that requires two hands and provokes attacks of opportunity.

Racial Specialty: Halflings treat halfling sling staves as martial weapons.

Hassassin

First Post
The "problem" is that D&D doesn't handle crossbows particularly well either, if your goal is to have missile weapons that can kill a man or a deer with one shot (or not with five or six).

I think this is an important point.

It is easy to see why a skilled fighter could avoid lethal hits from a sword due to pure skill. It is not so easy to see why a skilled fighter could avoid lethal hits from a missile weapon due to pure skill.

I'm not saying one is significantly more realistic than the other on strict terms, but the former seems plausible, while the latter doesn't. Plausibility > realism, IMHO.

(If both seem plausible, consider 1 vs. N situations.)

Glade Riven

Adventurer
I think people are mixing up plausibility, realism, and suspension of disbelief. The technical definition of Suspension of Disbelief simply requires that a world is consistant with itself. That doesn't mean there aren't "deal-breakers" that ruin it for individuals, though.

mmadsen

First Post
It is easy to see why a skilled fighter could avoid lethal hits from a sword due to pure skill. It is not so easy to see why a skilled fighter could avoid lethal hits from a missile weapon due to pure skill.
We should probably be more precise. I can easily see a skilled fighter dodging a thrown axe or a long-distance arrow-shot -- especially if he has a large shield to put in the way -- but I can't see him dodging a bullet or a short-range crossbow bolt from an unseen attacker. More importantly, a skilled fighter would either get hit or not; he wouldn't get ground down by blocking and dodging the first five shots from a six-shooter, and he certainly couldn't charge a gunner knowing he'd be able to close the gap with zero chance of being stopped, even by a hit.

These kinds of rules change how characters behave in the game world, and some of them make guns feel especially unrealistic.

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
Well Pathfinder's rule on firearms make more sense to me.

The first range increment for firearms works as ranged touch attack. This means any armor with enhancement bonuses, those bonuses remain as part of AC, but the armor itself provides no AC benefit at that range. With the appropriate feat or grit ability - additional range increments can be paid for with 1 grit point spent each. (Note: grit is from the Gunslinger class's grit pool).

In Pathfinder your touch AC does not include Dex modifiers, thus you cannot effectively dodge a firearm discharge as it is a ranged touch attack.

At a greater distance both AC and Dex applies, as long as the shooter has no special abilities that grant a longer effective range with firearms.

All this seems to make a lot more sense, and IMO is much closer to reality.

The secret with firearms is not that they cause more damage (as they don't) but they cannot be effectively defended against - as AC and DEX/Dodge does not work against it (at least in Pathfinder). Magic can, but not mundane defenses.

Last edited:

Remove ads