• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Making Human/Demi-Human "Monsters" in 4E

Kel

First Post
Thanks for all of the helpful suggestions and information! I had never even thought of the "re-skinning" idea, but it certainly makes sense with the way monsters work in 4E. And that Book of NPCs is simply brilliant. That thing basically did all my work for me!

DonAdam

Explorer
Even though reskinning is easy, I would pay money for a book that was nothing but human opponents, with notes on how to convert their abilities slightly to make them any other race. It could cover different cultures and all the different roles across all three tiers.

Venport

First Post
This is now i make all creatures (human or otherwise) for my games.

Find flavor: What does the creature do, does he have a ball and chain? or is he really quick ect...

Find a Role: Is he a striker ect..

Powers: Make up powers that fit the role, some kind of whirlwind attack, some ability that lets him use a more than once.

Stats: Check DM tool box for damage output, def, and + to attack ect. that works with the level of the monster

Balance: Look up another monster in the MM with the same level and role and check to see if the are about the same power level.

There we go, now it does not matter if it's human, dragon or Demon

*side note: i do look up racial abilities for that monster and check to see if i want them to have that ability (9\10 I do)

Remove ads