Making new D&D work for old D&D

GENEWEIGEL

Explorer
Hello "new D&D" fans (I should say "newer" rather),

I have returned with greetings from the ancient world! ;)

Seriously, the "new D&D" is dead to me still.

Yes, yes, you've heard it all before.

Whatever!

I want to turn over a new leaf and start a "2e-3e-3.5e to 1e conversion OGL project" right here at ENWorld.

A guide that turns D20 punk into CLASSIC funk!

How about it, girls and boys?

Remathilis

Legend
I guess it depends on what you're converting.

2e was so close to 1e in basic mechanics little conversion is needed for the few things that changed. (Bards, for example). The rest of 2e is pretty much plug and pray.

3.X requires enough work to seriously make me ask "why?" Almost all the 3e races exist in 1e, as do all classes but bards (significantly changed), rangers (significantly changed) and sorcerers (new class). You cannot Kit-bash feats into the game without trashing the system. Most prestige classes are simply either kits or variant classes anyway. Skills also require gutting the system. The rest (saves, bab) require full conversion to d20.

Thus, the only thing to really convert is monsters and spells. (and Magic Items, I guess.)

Monsters would be a giant pain to do. Most of WotC's monsters have been done before for 1e or 2e (and 2e is so close to 1e as to be transparent). Magic Items don't need alot of work either (except those that grant feats or skill bonuses). Some spells would go over well (I converted false life to 2e), but other's might not (Polar Ray is death under the old HD system.)

That leaves me with two suggestions, play 1e but use some of the concepts behind 2e/3e monsters/spells/whatnot, or play 3e but limit some options and such to maintain a 1e feel.

Dialgo should be through here at some point, he might lend some advice.

GENEWEIGEL

Explorer
Remathilis said:
I guess it depends on what you're converting.

2e was so close to 1e in basic mechanics little conversion is needed for the few things that changed. (Bards, for example). The rest of 2e is pretty much plug and pray.

3.X requires enough work to seriously make me ask "why?" Almost all the 3e races exist in 1e, as do all classes but bards (significantly changed), rangers (significantly changed) and sorcerers (new class). You cannot Kit-bash feats into the game without trashing the system. Most prestige classes are simply either kits or variant classes anyway. Skills also require gutting the system. The rest (saves, bab) require full conversion to d20.

Thus, the only thing to really convert is monsters and spells. (and Magic Items, I guess.)

Monsters would be a giant pain to do. Most of WotC's monsters have been done before for 1e or 2e (and 2e is so close to 1e as to be transparent). Magic Items don't need alot of work either (except those that grant feats or skill bonuses). Some spells would go over well (I converted false life to 2e), but other's might not (Polar Ray is death under the old HD system.)

That leaves me with two suggestions, play 1e but use some of the concepts behind 2e/3e monsters/spells/whatnot, or play 3e but limit some options and such to maintain a 1e feel.

Dialgo should be through here at some point, he might lend some advice.

Thanks! I'm looking to do this for the fans:

1) Break out your classic Advanced books (Anniversary time, etc.)

2) Get a new module.

3) Print out conversion PDF.

4) 1,2,3...you're playing again.

Well feats and skills don't have to be considered. No problem with that.

Prestige classes can become the nearest class. Thats easy.

Spells need segments. So a segment conversion chart is a must.

Experience points for magic items need redoing. Those that affect skills and feats can be granted combat oriented bonuses where applicable if too mundane for an over-the-top magical effect. So a suggested conversion is in order.

Weapons need vs. AC adjustments with some imagined or historical accuracy to be considered. So this would be tough.

New weird monsters need redone treasure type, xp and dungeon levels. Perhaps a conversion chart to adapt new modules would have to be in order with a few examples from the core books.

What else?

Wycen

Explorer
Well, off the top of my head I'd say this seems not too challenging a task. All you do is straight class conversions, dropping feats and skills all together and using the old rules for magic spells and items. You just have to reimpose restrictions like human paladins and true neutral druids. Characters that don't fit either are grandfathered in or you let them advance at the old house ruled double the xp value each level.

Unless you are wanting to keep something particular about 3E?

Algolei

Explorer
I have to admit, converting from 3E to 1E sounds weird to me. What does 3E have that 1E could possibly need?

I've done some converting of 3E stuff to my own houserules for 1E/2E, but it involved changing the rules into my own unique version (which I call 6E, because it is 1E + 2E + 3E :) ).

rounser

First Post
You'd be better off just buying some Hacklopedias, and adapting other Hackmaster material, Geneweigel. You can use the stats directly, and arguably the material is a lot more creatively inspired and cool (albeit very wild and wooly) than 3E's offerings, where the creative focus seems to have been poured into rules instead. Watch out for stuff like 3rd level "save or become disabled" spells though; Hackmaster balance is shoddier than 1E IMO, but some of the flavorsome concepts for monsters, magic items and spells are pure gold.
I have to admit, converting from 3E to 1E sounds weird to me. What does 3E have that 1E could possibly need?
Those mirror people from the new Fiend Folio make the cut, I think.

Last edited:

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Alternatively, perhaps one of the forums which caters specifically to people interested in running 1e/2e might be a more productive location for such a request?

I'd imagine that you'd gain a lot more support there than here.

Cheers

Derulbaskul

Adventurer
As someone old enough to have played through all of D&D's incarnations... I think I'll just pray for you.

You really want to bring back weapon vs armour class?

Yes, I must pray for you.... ;)

Remove ads