Making new D&D work for old D&D

diaglo

Adventurer
way ahead of you Gene.
i've converted 1edADnD, 2edADnD, 2000ed, and 3.11ed for Workgroups material into a useable format for OD&D(1974).

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
GENEWEIGEL said:
Weapons need vs. AC adjustments with some imagined or historical accuracy to be considered. So this would be tough.

People actually use these? Good God. I'd rather grapple, pummel and overbear -- and that's saying something. This part, in particular, might be more trouble than it's worth. I'd concentrate on converting the things that people are most likely to get real use out of.

Whisper72

Explorer
If you want to be able to use 3.x ed modules under the 1st Ed system, simply recast the monsters to monsters from 1st Ed (between MM1, MM2 and FF should not be too diff), use the weapons etc. as per 1st Ed books. Etc.

The only thing you still run into is th whole DC/save crap you'll have to convert to recognizable save / check rolls in 1st Ed.... shouldn't be too hard now would it?

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
My basics for converting 3E to 1E:

Ignore any plusses. A hit dice score of 4d12+16 becomes simply 4 HD in 1E. (or 4+1 if you like) Damage works likewise: 1d12+6 converts to 1d12

NPCs - pick an AD&D class that is close, and use that at the given level.

Spell casting times are simple: equal level for Wizard/Sorcerer spells, equal level+3 for Cleric/Druid spells for those that take 1 action; otherwise straight conversion.

The best reason for converting 3E to 1E would have to be Gary Gygax's Necropolis. :)

Saving Throws: if the DC is 20-24 give a -2 penalty to the save; 25-29 give a -4 penalty, 30+ give a -6 penalty. If the DC is 10-14, give a +2 bonus. The type of save should be obvious in 1E.

I don't see any reason why it can't be done "on the fly"; I can do similar for 1E to 3E, so the reverse should be simple.

The one thing to remember is the divergence in level requirements: a 1st level adventure in both systems is fairly similar, but a 15th level 3E adventure probably needs 18th+ level 1E characters.

Cheers!

T. Foster

First Post
Might such conversion be easier for some of the 3E/d20 modules that are themselves conversions from OAD&D? I've specifically got in mind RJK's "Dark Druids" (which I have, and would like to run, except I can't get past all the d20-ese) and the well-regarded Necromancer Games stuff -- Rappan Athuk, Tomb of Abysthor, etc. "Necropolis" would probably fit in this category as well (since I played in it using OAD&D rules at a con in 1988 -- with EGG as the DM). At very least such modules shouldn't have too much that's conceptually all that foreign from OAD&D -- kobold were-dire weasel assassins, heavy emphasis on feats and templates and prestige classes and such. For such "old school feel" modules it should mostly just be a matter of coming up with equivalent stats for monsters, spells, and items.

What other 3E and d20 adventures and sourcebooks besides those I mentioned above are particularly ripe for conversion to OAD&D? Any of that Goodman Games stuff that has the "mock-old-school" art and layout?

Kid Charlemagne

I am the Very Model of a Modern Moderator
I'm surprised no ones mentioned this, but isn't there supposed to be a "rules-light" book coming out? I forget the bublsiher, but if recall correctly, there was even some thought that EGG himself would do Castle **cough**Hawk for it...

Essentially the idea was to distill 3E down to a simple, 1E-style.

That would seem to be the ideal route for Gene and Diaglo.

Elodan

Adventurer
Kid Charlemagne said:
I'm surprised no ones mentioned this, but isn't there supposed to be a "rules-light" book coming out? I forget the bublsiher, but if recall correctly, there was even some thought that EGG himself would do Castle **cough**Hawk for it...

Essentially the idea was to distill 3E down to a simple, 1E-style.

That would seem to be the ideal route for Gene and Diaglo.
I believe you're talking about Castles and Crusades which Troll Lord Games is going to release sometime this year.

Figured C&C might come up in this thread :)
While I am really excited about C&C, I don't think it has much to do with Gene's proposal.
If I read it right, Gene's calling for a collaborative conversion of any/all post-1e D&D materials - that's 2e and 3/3.5e - back into AD&D format.
So, since C&C is actually going to be a whole new OGL (not d20, IIRC) ruleset, it's outside the bailiwick, so to speak.
However... I'll bet that any item retroconverted to AD&D will play pretty easily under C&C.
Nice to see this thread containing civil disagreement and constructive criticism, all.

My $.02: Some of the material should be avoided - particularly the 2e modules I call "train rides", i.e. PC "railroaders".

Coredump

Explorer
My question would be why bother? If you want to run 1e, scan ebay for the old modules and run them. There were a ton of 1e/2e modules, I can't imagine you have used them all.

MarauderX

Explorer
Hmmm, I'd be interested if only it went back even further, to OD&D, just so I can convert it back to 3.5 again. You won't find me cracking any 2E books anytime soon, and unless there is a very, very cool plot I'm not touching 1E either.

If you make some progress by all means post it up in the Conversions forum and the rest of us can drag it to whatever version we want from there.

Oh, and before Diaglo says it, there is no distilling down to OD&D. OD&D is the only true game; all other imitators are mere phantasmal images of the real game. :eek:

Remove ads