• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Malhavoc copy/paste eased

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Sigil

Mr. 3000 (Words per post)
http://p222.ezboard.com/fokayyourturnfrm11.showMessageRange?topicID=363.topic&start=87&stop=87

In the above thread, Monte Cook states that "we" (don't know if it's just Malhavoc or all publishers) just removed the "10 copy/pastes in 10 days" restriction from PDF files.

DRM appears to still be in place; you must register your machine, et al. However, once your machine is registered, your restrictions on using the file appear to be gone.

To all those who would not buy from Drive Thru RPG... is this enough? Was it just the "copy/paste" you had a problem with or the entirety of DRM? Will this bring you back?

Regardless of whether you think this is "enough" or not, this shows one thing that I think is promising... Monte and DTRPG are showing that they are quick to listen to and respond to the demands of the market.

--The Sigil

(If you care, the answer to the above is still, "no, I still won't buy." I will not buy DRM-encumbered files, period, end of discussion, for many reasons, not the least of which is I want a guarantee of "future portability" to any number of machines I personally might use, without the bother of connecting them to the internet.)

Last edited:

isidorus

Explorer
Supporter
--The Sigil[
(If you care, the answer to the above is still, "no, I still won't buy." I will not buy DRM-encumbered files, period, end of discussion, for many reasons, not the least of which is I want a guarantee of "future portability" to any number of machines I personally might use, without the bother of connecting them to the internet.)
/QUOTE]

No I won't. Let alone DRM takes away my fair use, and I use Linux %95 percent of the time.

Oh Sigil I agree with what I quoted.

Last edited:

Old Fezziwig

a man builds a city with banks and cathedrals
I'd assume that it's just Malhavoc, as he refers to "our products" later on in that post. At any rate, this is a good thing.

Edit: It is just Malhavoc. See here (from this thread: DriveThruRPG Exclusivity).

Best,
Nick

Last edited:

Kajamba Lion said:
I'd assume that it's just Malhavoc, as he refers to "our products" later on in that post. At any rate, this is a good thing.

Best,
Nick

But lets not lose sight of the fact that it's not really a "good" thing so much as it's less of a "bad" thing....

Two days ago we could do the same thing, without having do to any of the other hassle that's now included. Being able to do it now isn't an improvment of any sort.

I'm glad DTRPG is listening and hope they listen enough to just chuck the whole DRM thing and really watch their sales increase. Being able to get PDFs from all those great publishers would rock, if they would let me use the material the way I want to use the material: In a legal manner.

I'm just surprised that someone thought paying thousands of dollars (for the DRM adobe package) to reduce expected utility for paying customers under the hope that it would force the people who steal things to pay was a good idea.

joe b.

SneakyB

First Post
The Sigil (If you care said:
Nope. Still not enough for me either. The copy/paste issue was of lesser significance to me. Portability of the document was, and remains, my number 1 concern. Personally, it seems like this easing of the restriction is the equivalent of a bucket of water for a forest fire. But that's just me.

Last edited:

Nifft

Penguin Herder
I usually use Linux, and I'm pretty sure that DRM isn't supported.

Oh well.

-- N

JRRNeiklot

First Post
Not me. When I buy something, I intend to use it when and where I wish, as long as I break no laws in so doing. I won't buy anything - print or pdf from anyone using using drm crap to restrict my use of something I legally bought while the bad guys go on about there business as usual. In fact, I may become a pirate just on principal.

francisca

I got dice older than you.
jgbrowning said:
But lets not lose sight of the fact that it's not really a "good" thing so much as it's less of a "bad" thing....

Two days ago we could do the same thing, without having do to any of the other hassle that's now included. Being able to do it now isn't an improvment of any sort.

I'm glad DTRPG is listening and hope they listen enough to just chuck the whole DRM thing and really watch their sales increase. Being able to get PDFs from all those great publishers would rock, if they would let me use the material the way I want to use the material: In a legal manner.

I'm just surprised that someone thought paying thousands of dollars (for the DRM adobe package) to reduce expected utility for paying customers under the hope that it would force the people who steal things to pay was a good idea.

joe b.

What he said.

When DRM is removed, I'll probably shell out a few hundred bucks over a month or two on that site.

Old Fezziwig

a man builds a city with banks and cathedrals
jgbrowning said:

Fair enough; I'm just trying to stay positive here. :) Your point is well taken, but, from where I'm at, what we could do two days ago is moot, because I don't see DriveThru's vendors completely abandoning DRM on all titles soon. If Malhavoc eases it up (and I think FDP has said they were going to look into it, too), that's a start, and I'm willing to call it both good and an improvement. I'm still leery of the entire situation, but this helps me somewhat.

Best,
Nick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads