Mana, Shamans, and the Cultural Misappropriation behind Fantasy Terms

Status
Not open for further replies.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I do not believe something as minor as hair or clothing are cultural appropriation. Unless it is something very specific with important meaning, like a Native American War Bonnet, but just some general hair style or clothing style? No.
Bindi isn’t a minor affectation.

If your guidepost isn’t the community that the object comes from, then you’re going to end up in the wrong, eventually.

aramis erak

Legend
Bindi isn’t a minor affectation.

If your guidepost isn’t the community that the object comes from, then you’re going to end up in the wrong, eventually.

It only matters if the source community interacts with the appropriating community and finds it a problem.

Too often these days people take offense on behalf of others, often in cases where it's not aligned with what the "protected group" wants.

doctorbadwolf

It only matters if the source community interacts with the appropriating community and finds it a problem.

Too often these days people take offense on behalf of others, often in cases where it's not aligned with what the "protected group" wants.
"Too often" is a pretty wild stretch when describing an incredibly rare thing that basically never happens.

doctorbadwolf

That is all Twitter, and other social media, seems to be most of the time. Just a bunch of people being offended on the behalf of other people. They post a bunch of words, but never actually follow up any of it with real actions to make real changes.
I mean, no, that simply isn't true on any level.

In any of the cases of twitter backlash against something, there are a mix of people directly involved/affected, and their allies, for one thing.

For another, you literally have no access to these peoples' lives, so the last line is 100% your assumption, based on nothing at all.

I think there's a difference between grabbing (or appropriating) something for your home campaign, and doing the same for something you intend to publish. I think I can rely on the players around my table to give me some benefit of the doubt if I screw something up out of ignorance; I don't think I would expect or deserve the benefit of the doubt from the larger public, if I published it.

I doubt that. WOW certainly demonstrates that the Polynesian lobby isn't all that militant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads