• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Mana/Skill based spellcasting

gpetruc

First Post
I'm working on a spellcasting system based on mana (of different colors) and skill checks, where casters will have a much greater freedom in what to cast (but, I hope, they won't get more power).

Basically: When you want to cast a spell you decide what you want it to do (using the schemes and options in the rules, or making something that is balanced with them if the DM agrees). This determines the number of mana and the DC to cast it. And there you go.

I've started to write down the rules, and I decided to post them here (attached: they are about 6 pages, but you don't need to read them all).

The rules are still in a "alpha" stage, that means I still have to test them for balance (the idea is to have them balanced in a world where magic is standard, not high nor low).

Also, I've only written down a very limited amount of spell schemes, but they will come on later.

There is still to do the Mage class, but for now consider as if it was a wizard or sorceror except for the different spellcasting. (that is not the main problem)

Please tell me what you think, it would be greatly appreciated. (even if you say "it's crap because ...", but not that much if you simply say "it's crap!" and nothing more)

I'll attach both the rtf and the pdf versions of the file (they are identic, anyway).

Attachments

• freecasting.rtf
    68.2 KB · Views: 69

Remove ads