Managing DM/GM Anxiety

OptionalRule

Adventurer
I wrote a blog post aggregating my advice and experience in Managing DM Anxiety that I hope is useful and wanted to link it.

I'm never sure where to put these as I just have a blog, it's not making money, not pointing toward a patreon or anything and it didn't feel right to put in promotions. I'm happy to move it there if more appropriate.

Just hoping people find this useful and get more games run.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Good advice. I especially agree with being your own best friend. Most of us would speak up in defense of friends if someone made the kinds of comments about them that we make about ourselves. I would add to this that being supportive of others is good exercise for supporting yourself. If you counter other people's self-defeating arguments, you'll be more likely to take note of, and respond appropriately to, such thoughts in your own mind.

Now, cutting out coffee!? I'm getting anxious just thinking about that!

Shiroiken

Legend
Interesting. I was expecting it to be about burnout (at least partially). I've been running RPGs for decades, and while I've run through the wringer of emotions before and after a session, I don't think anxiety has ever been one of them. I find burnout to be a far more common issue, for both myself and my fellow GMs.

Your initial advice really is key IMO, seeking profesional help, since I think that running RPGs brings out the core of our emotions by exposing our inner selves to others. Someone with anxiety is going to have is brought to the fore right before a session, worried about the preparation and eventual presentation. Someone with insecurities is likely to have it flare up after a session, worried about if they did a good job or not. A sadist is likely to gleefully take delight in the misery of the PCs during a session (at least, that's what my players say about me).

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
Interesting. I was expecting it to be about burnout (at least partially). I've been running RPGs for decades, and while I've run through the wringer of emotions before and after a session, I don't think anxiety has ever been one of them. I find burnout to be a far more common issue, for both myself and my fellow GMs.

Your initial advice really is key IMO, seeking profesional help, since I think that running RPGs brings out the core of our emotions by exposing our inner selves to others. Someone with anxiety is going to have is brought to the fore right before a session, worried about the preparation and eventual presentation. Someone with insecurities is likely to have it flare up after a session, worried about if they did a good job or not. A sadist is likely to gleefully take delight in the misery of the PCs during a session (at least, that's what my players say about me).
I've seen something on these lines. One of the guys I game with (who plays in both the campaigns I'm running) tried DMing and it fired up his anxiety issues pretty hard, more in the way of looking back (I gathered) than looking forward (which doesn't disprove your point, only that my friend might be an exception, here). My own problems are more on the lines of depression, which is, IME, a very different thing than anxiety.

Remove ads