mapping in photoshop?

kenjib

First Post
I've noticed that some people make maps in Photoshop. This doesn't seem like a very good app to do something like this to me. How is it done? Are there special plugins to help with this? Tricks and tips? Do people hand draw and scan into Photoshop?

adndgamer

First Post
Well, the only people I know who do this do so because they can use layers to reveal the map little at a time. Sure, it probably isn't the BEST app to do it in, but it works (and rather well at that, IMO).

Psionicist

Explorer
Here's how I do it:

How to create a country or world
Create a picture maybe 150x150 pixels then ZOOM as much as you can (1600%) so one pixel is quite large one the screen.

Then start to paint. Use the colors green (forest), grey (moutain), blue(water) and beige (desert) to create a map.
When you are done, zoom to a size you like and hit the Print Screen button. Then you can finalize it with the blur function and the cut tool.
Here's an example:
map.jpg

This is a 30 seconds job and you can do wounders in 5 minutes. 150x150 - zoom 1600%, draw some pixels, zoom out too 700% (or so), hit Print Screen, paste into new workspace, blur it.

Siridar

First Post
The neat thing about using Photoshop is being able to work with layers. I don't know what other mapping software gives you that sort of flexibility in being able to layer things, such as having a different layer for cities, names, roads, waterways, etc.

And then if you really want, you can make the maps look all funky, like they were made on parchment or carved in stone. I haven't actually tried any of those options, but I don't think it'd be too hard to do.

TalonComics

First Post
Layers is a pretty popular feature now. The vector art application Freehand also uses layers. IIRC so does Illustrator and Painter.

Very handy!

~Derek

Impeesa

Explorer
You think that's spiffy... do up combat maps in Photoshop. Characters/monsters all go on a separate layer so they can be moved around as necessary. Keep some 50% transparent templates of common ranges (spell bursts, cones, attack reach, ets) handy for overlay. Run your graphics card out to a large TV and pass a laser pointer to the players. Never use graph paper and minis again. And try not to get carried away.

--Impeesa--

Remove ads