Mapping Infinity

Lord Zack

Explorer
I have recently come across a conundrum. How to map an infinite plane of existence wherein the rules don't work the same as they do in the natural world? I prefer to run sandbox games, wherein the PCs can explore as they wish. This would also apply to the planes theoretically.

However to run such a game you have to have some kind of record of what places the PCs can go and what happens if they go there. Traditionally this is a map, however, the planes of infinite and you can't make a map of an infinite space. furthermore some planes are kind of wonky with non-Euclidean geometries and the like. For instance Mechanus has gears going off in all directions, and many planes only allow you to progress by certain means, for instance Celestia requires you to follow the path of virtue to ascend the mountain. So how do I solve this problem?

Certainly one measure I will take is to focus on small bits of the planes at any one time. But then if I have multiple maps I'd have to figure out where they are in relation to one another and what's in between. Another idea is figuring out some other way of organizing the information I need, besides a map. But how?

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
Schematic and node maps, if the relative location is important then a schematic where the relationship is clear but has no scale is best.
If there is no relationship, like for example there is no direction connection to two locations and they are really far apart the relative position is irrelevant, however if there are portals to reach them then map the portals as nodes.
So a location with several portals is one node, (even if it is a large area and the portals are quite far apart locally).

cdrcjsn

First Post
The plane might be infinite, but the places that the PCs have been to, and the places that they want to visit are most definitely finite.

Take a look at the 4e DMG and embrace the whole points of light concept.

You don't have to map all the points in between where you are or where you need to go.

If the place is indeed infinite then it contains every other place that you have already mapped ever so you have a good start.

See also the Hitchhiker's Guide regarding imports and exports. ;)

Merkuri

Explorer
If your goal is just to identify places then you could simply make lists or do an outline of the different places you want.

If you want to connect these places, then I second a node map.

Basically, draw circles or squares on a piece of paper and connect them with lines. The circles or squares represent places, and the lines represent the travel between the places.

So maybe you have a circle in the center that represents the PCs' home base. You know they can travel by horse 3 days north to get to another village, so you draw a line from there to another circle, label the line "3 days horseback, north" and label the circle with the name of the village. Maybe there's a set of tunnels under the village that will lead to the underdark, so you draw a line from that village to an "underdark" circle and label the line "tunnels". Maybe there's also set of ruins near the village that has a portal to the Shadowfell, so you can connect a "Shadowfell" circle to the village with a line that says, "ruins, portal" (or make the ruins their own circle).

You can get as detailed as you want like this. It's still a map of sorts, but it can encompass multiple planes and vast distances because it isn't to scale and it doesn't represent real geography. It's basically a group of places with lines connecting them that describe how to get from one place to another.

Siberys

Adventurer
You could perhaps map a section of the plane. The WHOLE PLANE is infinite, but the PCs probably won't be exploring the WHOLE PLANE. So just map the portion they will be exploring, just as you might map only a single kingdom in a material world.

maddman75

First Post
You're wanting non-Euclidian, right? Maps make geography make sense, so you can't use one. Here's what I'd do.

Create several interesting things that they might go and see or explore. A temple to a mad god, a field of blood-red roses with a stone circle in the middle, a village full of children, a crossroads with a sign that labels every location in the universe and a cackling old man offering directions. Add to that an encounter chart full of crazy stuff.

Travel should be like a skill challenge. If you succeed, you get where you were trying to go. If you fail, random encounter. To add to it, you can't just go back the way you came. The locals will act like this is perfectly natural - "I know you followed the road from the crossroads to get here, but you can't just go back on the same road, you'll run right into the lake of fire. You've got to go this other way over the mountains to get back where you were!" Any time they object that this strange world doesn't make any sense, make them roll a saving throw to prevent Sanity damage of some kind.

My best example of this was in Call of Cthulhu, when they were sailing over R'leyh.

"You see a large building, perfectly square. Five thin towers rise from it, one at each corner."

"How can there be five towers if there is one at each corner?"

"Hey, you're right. Roll Sanity." :D

If you map it out, that means the players can map it out. That means it makes some kind of sense. That means it isn't alien.

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
But I do need to know what is there.
Don't be silly, its infinite, even if you lived forever, you cannot map it, list or detail it.
So you only need to know where they have been and where they are going. They can only go to where you supply plot hooks or if you are sandboxing, to the places adjacent to where they currently are, that is, places they can reach.
They cannot reach places you have not provided plot hooks for.
If the geometery is non Ecludian then, local maps and nodes connecting them or lists are you best options.
A good random encounter table could be useful and a random terrain table.

Which plane?

Bear with me on this. I'm using third and prior edition lore.

The astral plane is a plane of the mind. "Distance" from one place to another is based on intelligence and wisdom checks. How soon you get there is how powerfully you can visualize it.

The abyss has an infinite number of layers, but they don't all connect. For the abyss, I'd get a general idea of a certain number of layers and their types and roll randomly to see where portals between layers take ya. (50% chance that the same portal used before goes to the same place).

etc.

My advice is to make each plane different. Focus on the purpose and nature of the plane and then develop HOW that specific plane is infinite. In the end, all the planes are certain "thematic ideals"...it is the ideals that are infinite, moreso than the space.

In fact, I'd imagine that only the prime material plane really works the way people normally think of direction. Even Mechanus, I suspect, isn't so much gears that can be measured as mathematical measurements given real form.

So, rather than maps, come up with a theme, deterimine how it works, and you'll know what players will meet on their journeys, even if you don't know where they are in relation to other "spaces".

Remove ads