• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Maps!

ToddSchumacher

I like to draw!
Some maps I made for my own campaign setting.

Attachments

• WorldMap.gif
    WorldMap.gif
    62.8 KB · Views: 252
  • NORTH_Names.gif
    NORTH_Names.gif
    139.9 KB · Views: 240
  • SOUTH_Names.gif
    SOUTH_Names.gif
    112.8 KB · Views: 240

ToddSchumacher

I like to draw!
Other than the fact that a comet came crashing down, created the blood sea, and caused all kind of deformation in the Eastern Realms (as seen on the world map), no...not so much.

Priest_Sidran

First Post
Todd, I like the maps...but,

And please do not think that I am critizing you in a bad way or anything, just a simple point of place name procedure (Sp?).

You have a number of names of places that are mundane, and are more descriptive of what the place is rather than what its name, and history is.

One of the cardinal rules of naming is don't name things Skull Kingdom, or Good Inn.

I am supposing of course that these maps are finished and that you are done with the naming process?

Instead of names like Grasslands and the Isle of the Dragon, why not give it a fantasy name for example Aldabad, Isle of the Dragons, or Kantiri Steppes or some such. (Names just created for example). Other examples from your map are the Lost wood, Badlands, Black Mountains, Troll Wood, etc.

One of the ways I find names is by searching out real world names from atlases and then modifying them based on my own tastes. It is easier this way to choose names based off of cultural influences similar to the real world cultures on the maps.

Other than the naming I love the maps and feel a bit inadequate when looking at yours compared to mine in the art department.

PR_S

Oh and here is some questions for you and a off-topic comment.

1. Were there races about when said comet crashed down
2. If so, what do you think the Races reactions to such an event might be.
3. How long ago did the event occur.
4. Did it bring along any malicious entities, villians, etc.
5. What are your world building inspirations. (Mine is simply; Middle Earth, Earthsea, Rhapsody by Elizabeth Haydon, Shannara, Riddlemaster of Hed by Patricia Mckillip, Maia, and Shardik by Richard Adams, Kingdom of the Wall Robert Silversburg, Song for Arrabone Guye Gavriel Kaye, Hart's Hope Orson Scott Card in literature. Willow, Dragonslayer, Army of Darkness, 300, Troy, Clash of the Titans, Sinbad and the Seven Seas, Earthsea, just to name a few movies. Numerous musical talents, tangerine dream, and vangelis being two at the forefront.

For the Comment.

When I first brought up your maps I notices a remarkable similarity in scope and shape to my own which thru me off at first (as far as the general outline of the continents). Even the concept of an asteroid, or meteorite strike is similar to mine. Though mine was a series of large impacts which hit both land and sea and which was followed by the impact of the small moon ( similar in size to Deimos the moon of mars which is 15.0 × 12 × 10.4 km in diameter). Which caused a marjor tsunami, followed by thirteen years of winter due to ash and debris in the atmosphere, a polar shift, and wide spread volcanic activity. Most races remember these events but only as Mythology (including the elves) and in the minor continents it has been all but forgotten.

The moon becomes the Evil Goddess Olereth Witch Queen of the Depths, Mother of All Sea Hags, etc, etc, etc, While the other major land striking meteorite becomes Bel father of night and despair, a deity who brings fimbul winters, and vile beasts to the landscape.
Others include Narsaia daughter of Olereth, who fell asleep and let loose the wells of heaven (accounting for the raising of waters after the impact)

To skip past the details, I have spent more than I care to admit to working on the mythos of the regions in my world.

Attached is a working map as I have it now, no where nearly completed of the primary campaign site, known as Maiden's Hearth

I realise that I broke my own rule on a few instances but for most they were established more than seven years ago, and cannot be changed.

Attachments

• Maidenshearth01.JPG
    Maidenshearth01.JPG
    406.9 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:

Pbartender

First Post
Priest_Sidran said:
...You have a number of names of places that are mundane, and are more descriptive of what the place is rather than what its name, and history is.

One of the cardinal rules of naming is don't name things Skull Kingdom, or Good Inn...

...Instead of names like Grasslands and the Isle of the Dragon, why not give it a fantasy name for example Aldabad, Isle of the Dragons, or Kantiri Steppes or some such. (Names just created for example). Other examples from your map are the Lost wood, Badlands, Black Mountains, Troll Wood, etc.

One of the ways I find names is by searching out real world names from atlases and then modifying them based on my own tastes. It is easier this way to choose names based off of cultural influences similar to the real world cultures on the maps.

I do the same thing. The funny part is, I find that most place names are mundane, descriptive names, once you translate them from their native languages.

A PbP D20 Modern game just stopped by Cape Town in South Africa, where there are three nearby mountains named Devil's Peak, Table Mountain, Lion's Head and Signal Hill. Rome, Alexandria, Constantinople and St. Petersburg are all simply named after people.

Even a city name like York, which doesn't really mean anything, came from a shortened version of Norse Jorvik ("Horse Bay"), which was adapted from Old English Eoforvic ("Wild Boar Town"), which was previously misstaken from the original Celtic Eborakon (likely "place of yew trees").

Priest_Sidran

First Post
Yes I understand, I do it too more than I like actually.

One look at my map shows

Drakesbridge
Snowhollow
Riverhead
Blackthorne
Blackreach
Blackharbor
Gold Harbor
Bucaneers Bay
Land's End
Briarwood

And thats just from memory.