D&D 5E March 2022 D&D book to be announced on October 12 as per Amazon.

It could also be the standalone Monster book from the new Gift Set. Give the gift set a few months to get sales independent of the standalone. But yeah, could be anything. Really hoping it's Spelljammer.
They wouldn't make a special announcement for that, as we already know it's coming out - that would be like "We've already announced this, now we're announcing it again!" They'll also probably want to put a good amount of time between the gift set and the individual release so as to get people to buy the gift set (sucks, but we all know that's how it's done). So it's pretty likely to be something different.

I'm not super informed on publishing, but I believe it's actually not too difficult to make last-minute changes to text before the printing actually happens.

I'm pretty sure they're planning on using certain races from the UA regardless of how they're received (giff for example), and are largely just going to make tweaks based on feedback. So this book is probably mostly complete.
Given the response both here and elsewhere, I'm pretty sure the giff, hadozee, plasmoids, and thri-kreen will get in, as people seem pretty positive (or outright excited) at the concepts (although they want to make feedback on the exact implementation). Autognomes are somewhat less so, but by no means negative. If any of them get dropped it would be the astral elf, as the general consensus seems to be "Meh, another elf."

overgeeked

B/X Known World
I'm not super informed on publishing, but I believe it's actually not too difficult to make last-minute changes to text before the printing actually happens.
Yeah. I've worked in publishing, just nothing on that scale. The printer can set up and fire off printer's proofs for you to check one last time before starting a print run so you can catch any mistakes. Once you sign off on that they get going. I'm just not sure about the turnaround time on printing hardbacks in the millions along with distribution. They'll expedite the shipping on review copies, but the rest will slowly wind their way through distribution channels until they're in stores. But at least they're not printed in China and put on a boat. Yikes. That would be a disaster right about now.
I'm pretty sure they're planning on using certain races from the UA regardless of how they're received (giff for example), and are largely just going to make tweaks based on feedback. So this book is probably mostly complete.
Absolutely.
They wouldn't make a special announcement for that, as we already know it's coming out - that would be like "We've already announced this, now we're announcing it again!" They'll also probably want to put a good amount of time between the gift set and the individual release so as to get people to buy the gift set (sucks, but we all know that's how it's done). So it's pretty likely to be something different.
Sure. It's not likely the standalone, but it's possible. I'm just trying to keep my hopes from getting astronomical.

Mercurius

Legend
My (revised) prediction: A Spelljammer adventure that starts in the Realms (Lantan?). It involves episodic adventures, each locations that can be travelled to by the spelljammer ship the PCs find, which can be played individually or as a connected story.

The end goal? SIGIL, which paves the way for the Planescape/planes/Multiverse book to come out in May or so.

So we have:
January: Monsters of the Multiverse.
March: Realms/Spelljammer adventure, Beyond the Realms.
May: Planescape setting book, Shemeska's Guide to Sigil and the Multiverse.
August/Sept: Planar story arc/adventure comp: Planar Adventures.
November (2 books): Dragonlance setting and adventure path; Dragonlance: Tasslehoff's Guide to Krynn and War of the Lance.

Faolyn

(she/her)
That -is- a good idea. Spelljammer could be updated to 5e in such a book, with different Ships as Adventure areas and flying "dungeons", after all.

Add in just a few new races and feats and such... chef's kiss
The entirety of the actual Spelljammer ship (the original, unique one, from Legends of the Spelljammer) was basically a mega-dungeon. I can easily imagine it rewriting that as a full adventure. Maybe as a sort of Rendezvous with Rama thing, where you're sent to explore this strange, ancient, alien ship--but other groups have also been sent to explore, and the ship itself is alive and aware.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
The entirety of the actual Spelljammer ship (the original, unique one, from Legends of the Spelljammer) was basically a mega-dungeon. I can easily imagine it rewriting that as a full adventure. Maybe as a sort of Rendezvous with Rama thing, where you're sent to explore this strange, ancient, alien ship--but other groups have also been sent to explore, and the ship itself is alive and aware.
There's so much to love about Spelljammer.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
If it's a hybrid adventure/setting book, then 95+% of it could be done, and all they need to do now is fine-tune the races. That's only a few pages of work that would still be left outstanding. I assume it should be doable if they get feedback fairly quickly.

Also, if it is the Boo cover book, I'm assuming that the DMs Guild Minsc and Boo product was supposed to be dropped after this announcement, and wires got crossed somewhere...
Indeed, if they do so, it's more time than they gave themselves for Ravnica.

Parmandur

Book-Friend

Thanks to Crawford's admissions before Guildmaster's Guide to Ravnica because of how last mintue the UA was, we know that about two months out is about when they send the PDF to the printer.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Heavy Metal.

Remove ads