March Fourth for GM's Day!!

Grim

First Post
march fo(u)rth is great! My birthday is the 31st of that month, so thats perfect for presents! GO GM'S DAY!

Lela

First Post
Fast Learner said:
I'm working a bit on some potential logos, but I have one question. Is it:

GameMasters Day

GameMaster's Day

GameMasters' Day

Gamemasters Day

Gamemaster's Day

or

Gamemasters' Day

?

I've tried to fined the common usage of "Mother's Day" on the web (the location of the apostrophe obviously being an issue), but haven't seen a consensus.

Thoughts?

Correct American grammar would be "GameMasters' Day" with the apostrophe being on the end. Since the day belongs to GameMasters (two caps in there, plural) it should go on the end.

The reason I say two caps is because it's normally two words. But that doesn't work for the Big Day nearly as well as one word.

Also, I'm putting the second cap in to remind us of our GMs truely being Masters of their craft.

Last edited:

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
Lela said:
Correct American grammar would be "GameMasters' Day" with the apostrophe being on the end. Since the day belongs to GameMasters (two caps in there, plural) it should go on the end.

Ah, but it's all about focusing on the one to whom you are appreciating (like Mother's Day! ;) ) but I think best to go with GM's Day! without spelling it out. If someone doesn't know what it is, they will have to ask and the spreading of the word will continue...

Last edited:

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Christmas has Santa....red and green
Saint Pattie's has the leprechaun...green
Valentines has Cupid...red and pink
New Years has a baby...white and black
Thanksgiving has a turkey...brown and orange
Easter has the bunny...blue and pink
July has the Patriot...red, white, and blue
Haloween has the Pumpkin...black, white, and orange

GM's day?

GM's day has the Dice...purple and yellow (for royal colors of royal purple and gold)

Now I'm going to have to find a school some where, and, on May 4th, force them to cut little dice out of paper and hang them from the cieling in a big GM's day celebration with lunch being Pizza and Pop! Decorate the room in purple and gold!

MWahahahaha!

Lela

First Post
Mark said:

Ah, but it's all about focusing on the one to whom you are appreciating (like Mother's Day! ;) ) but I think best to go with GM's Day! without spelling it out. If someone doesn't know what it is, they will have to ask and the spreading of the word will continue...

I've edited my post above to give more reasons why. It was before your post came up. Sorry.

Fast Learner

First Post
Mark said:

Is it actually "GM's Day" or would it be "GMs' Day"?

I certainly agree with Lela's assessment about proper grammar (pretty straightforward), but unfortunately (or fortunately), proper grammar doesn't make it right. For example, it's called "Veterans Day," without an apostrophe. It's called this by the Veterans Administration (now known as the Department of Veteran Affairs). Note the lack of apostrophe in the original agency anme, too.

Lela

First Post
Fast Learner said:
Is it actually "GM's Day" or would it be "GMs' Day"?

I certainly agree with Lela's assessment about proper grammar (pretty straightforward), but unfortunately (or fortunately), proper grammar doesn't make it right. For example, it's called "Veterans Day," without an apostrophe. It's called this by the Veterans Administration (now known as the Department of Veteran Affairs). Note the lack of apostrophe in the original agency anme, too.

I agree that most don't use propper grammar but that doesn't mean we shouldn't. It would give us a baseline and a feeling of, well, knowing that while the American Government can't seem to do it, we can.

Besides, it might add to the negitive image of gamers if we do it wrong.

As for the apostrophe being at the end, I say it isn't just for my GameMaster. It's for GameMaster's everywhere.

I don't mind it being GM or GameMaster though.

[Edited to add the following:]
We should also remember that Eric Noah is a Teacher and/or Liberian.

Last edited:

Wicht

Hero
I think that just on a visual basis "GM's Day" looks better than "GMs' Day".

As far as mascots, I think the old cartoon Dungeon Master would be great. :)

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
Lela said:
I agree that most don't use propper grammar but that doesn't mean we shouldn't. It would give us a baseline and a feeling of, well, knowing that while the American Government can't seem to do it, we can.

Besides, it might add to the negitive image of gamers if we do it wrong.

As for the apostrophe being at the end, I say it isn't just for my GameMaster. It's for GameMaster's everywhere.

I don't mind it being GM or GameMaster though.

[Edited to add the following:]
We should also remember that Eric Noah is a Teacher and/or Liberian.

There are arguments that can be made on every side of a nebulous issue but it makes no difference in the long run. It's not about governments or how any one person decides they wish to celebrate the occasion. It isn't about someone being right or wrong. It's not about Eric, either. ;) The original propsal has it as "GM's Day" and let's not bog this down in committee, please. Trust me on this. It is what it is because it is...

Mark said:
March Fo(u)rth for GM's Day! :)

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases