• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Mark of the Wyrm

Eryndur

Explorer
"Got it."

Ghelt looked around, noticing the attention as well.

"Well," he said not too quietly, projecting out across the common room. "If I was going to make a move on certain undesirables, I'd gather a small band of like-minded individuals, and promise them equal shares of whatever wealth we might acqure in the execution of said plan. Then, I'd start making inquiries in the seedier part of town; namely, here in the Labyrinth. Protection rackets, gambling, street gangs, prostitution, the black market."

[sblock=OOC]Tharune, I don't know if Ghelt has access to names of Zhents in the city at this time. I don't have Knowledge (local), but I do have Gather Information.[/sblock]

FreeXenon

American Male (he/him); INTP ADHD Introverted Geek
Grogan (Half-Orc Barbarian and Zhent Hate'a)

"I don't even trust you. Why would I want others that I cannot trust, especially from this place, to assist me in my mission to destroy the walking dead?" He looks around searching for anyone that is taking too much interest in their conversation.

[OOC:
I have knowledge Local (Zhentarim), perhaps I could perform and aid another check using my Knowledge? It is not a good chance as I would need a 6 or higher to give you a +2. It is not much, but the best I can do, short or grabbing the nearest person and tearing them apart until they tell me what I want to hear.

...or perhaps, by some miracle, I happen to recognize a name or place that is specifically active from my limited knowledge?

...or perhaps it is all you, dude?

Good segue to finding a party, Eryndur.
:)
]

Eryndur

Explorer
"Strength in numbers, Grogan," Ghelt replied. "There might be plenty of Zhent sympathy in town, but there's just as much as can't stand 'em. And surely -- since you haven't stormed the gates of Zhentil Keep by yourself -- you realize the wisdom of restraint."

[sblock=OOC]I won't assume anything about NPCs until Tharune jumps in. I don't want to start making up names and motives.[/sblock]

FreeXenon

Grogan scowls at the rogue's insinuative words and his lip furls into a feral snarl at the mention of Zhentil Keep. The half-orc he spits right onto the bar and looks to Ghelt with anger in his eyes. "The day will come that I will raze that accursed center of slavery and lies myself. Mark my words, slink."

Last edited:

Eryndur

Explorer
"I'm firmly without doubt in that regard." The Shin marveled at Grogan's ability to come up with so many derogatory names. Ghelt might actually have to reevaluate his career choice if half of those were true. He grabbed his mug, turned around on his stool to face the common room, and propped his elbows behind him on the bar. He casually perused the patrons. Hmmm... There's that woodsman in the rear. Probably came out of Cormanthor to resupply. He'd been in here before, and seemed more than capable, especially with that monstrous bow he carried around. Ghelt's attention was drawn directly below him, where another half-orc was sitting at a table. Sweet Lady! Is that a symbol of Deneir? Been a long time since I've seen one of those...

Ghelt waited for likely people to approach him. He frowned at the hulking Grogan, and surreptitiously indicated for him to put on a cheery face.

Last edited:

Bloodcookie

Explorer
Carfal

Eryndur said:
"Got it."

Ghelt looked around, noticing the attention as well.

"Well," he said not too quietly, projecting out across the common room. "If I was going to make a move on certain undesirables, I'd gather a small band of like-minded individuals, and promise them equal shares of whatever wealth we might acqure in the execution of said plan. Then, I'd start making inquiries in the seedier part of town; namely, here in the Labyrinth. Protection rackets, gambling, street gangs, prostitution, the black market."

Carfal sighed once again, resignedly. He needed to make contact with some sources of information if he was ever going to complete his investigation, and Deneir-only-knows that he lacked the social wherewithal to get anyone to tell him what he needed.

"*Ahem*" Carfal conspicuously slides back his chair and stands, turning to face the conversation at the bar. "I, er, understand that there may be some interest in making certain inquiries hereabouts? Well, I happen to have need of a... more sophisticated individual to negotiate some inquiries of my own. If you... gentlemen would be amenable to assisting me in this, I would happily offer my own services in return. I can, um, transcribe any manuscripts you may... need... er, yes, I suppose you wouldn't. Well, I also have some skill in healing, should that become necessary for some reason." Almost as an afterthought, Carfal pulls the holy symbol hanging from a thong around his neck from beneath his armor, and attempts a friendly smile.

Eryndur

Explorer
Ghelt the Shin, Human Rogue

Ghelt smiled triumphantly at the barbarian, then kicks out a stool for the priest. "The services of Deneith are in serious remittance around here, mate. Always good to see an honest priest, assuming that's what you are. Name's Ghelt, and my companion and I would be more than happy to assist you with your problem. "He turned to stare hard at Grogan as he continued talking to the cleric. "Because, as we've learned recently, one good turn deserves another, and sometimes a more round-about means to an end can be more effective than brute coercion. Right, Grogan?"

Redclaw

First Post
Garren, Human Ranger

Garren frowned in exasperation. Who were these idiots? Were they trying to draw the Zhents down on them in numbers? He looked at the musclebound half-orc again and decided that he probably would be trying to do just that if he realized it was possible.
Not wanting those who were obviously on the right side of the struggle to be killed without accomplishing anything, he slowly levered himself up from the table and walked up to the bar. Not looking at the three, he spoke so that only they could hear him.
The Shin is right, my formidable friend. This is no place to discuss our mutual distaste for that collection of immoral miscreants. Scarsdale is aswarm with them, and with their informants. He knew that about the town, but came here to resupply anyway, as nobody asked him any questions about what he used all of the arrows for, or why he payed in gold coins covered with spiders.
Mayhap the best approach is to quietly gather some information about their activities, and discuss a method of disrupting them.

FreeXenon

As the newcomers approached Grogan put on the fiercest friendly smile that he could force revealing his toothy yellowed orcish maw with his lips drawn back as far as he could manange while trying not to scare the locals away. The half-orc's eyes, full of rage and the desire to rip something apart combined with the hideous attempt of a friendly smile begot a rather comical appearance.

Through his 'smile' Grogan said "Don't push it, Creep." to the Ghelt.

Last edited:

Eryndur

Explorer
Ghelt clapped the ranger on the back, but pulled his hand away at the cold stare he received in return. "Ah, wise words, sir, wise words indeed. Welcome to the burgeoning cadre."

It was a pleasant surprise that the mysterious outsider decided to initiate contact. Had his head tight on his shoulders, that one, or Ghelt was a stinking Hillsfarther.

[sblock=OOC]Ghelt would recommend retiring someplace private, but I'm not sure if the entire party is here in the common room.[/sblock]

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads