Marked target making opportunity attacks

PeelSeel2

Explorer
This came up in last night session. Target is marked by fighter, pc2 moves past marked target provoking OA. Since an OA is an attack, the fighter gets to make an immediate interrupt against the OA? True or False?

tatoolo

First Post
Since someone else started this thread...

I've read this strategy for Fighters often, but can it also be used by Paladins (Divine Challenge)?

cmbarona

First Post
Yup. Not quite the same thing, but I was DMing a game with a swarm once. The Paladin DC'd the swarm, and it ended up killing the little buggers when the party's Rogue started his turn adjacent and was subject to the swarm aura.

tatoolo

First Post
Yes, I realize it's not as good since it applies only to the first attack the marked creature makes before the Paladin's next turn, but I think I'm going to start using it with my Artful Dodger Rogue with Defensive Mobility, since the DM refuses to make a move that will trigger the DC damage.

Lord Sessadore

Explorer
Yes, I realize it's not as good since it applies only to the first attack the marked creature makes before the Paladin's next turn, but I think I'm going to start using it with my Artful Dodger Rogue with Defensive Mobility, since the DM refuses to make a move that will trigger the DC damage.
Well, no. The paladin's DC trick is just as effective as the fighter's interrupt attack, if not more so. DC does damage once per round, fighters only get one immediate action per round, so in the end they can both do their thing once per round.

Where DC is better is when the monster has a high AC (fighter could miss with the attack) or the monster isn't adjacent to the defender (fighter needs to be able to swing at the baddie - the paladin could be across the room). Also, you can't take an immediate action on your turn, so if the fighter's mark triggers during his turn he can't do anything, whereas a paladin's DC will fire on his turn.

Also, if you're a paladin with the Champion of Order PP, you get a daily that lets you DC two enemies each time you use DC in that encounter. That allows you to do the damage twice in a round, since it's independent for each target. Fighters (or anyone else) can never get a second immediate action in a round ;)

Remove ads