Marking books for errata

Merkuri

Explorer
The thread about printing new books with updated errata has made me think that I should find some way to mark in my books where the errata is. Putting a little highlighter mark next to passages that are errata'd would probably work, but I would rather not have something permanent in case I want to sell these books some day (I keep telling myself I might, but I still have all of my 2e and 3e books).

So, anyone have any suggestions on ways to mark where errata is without making the book unreadable or damaging it? How have you dealt with errata in your dead-tree copy?

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
I like to print out the errata in a single document, and use mini sticky notes in the text to show where the errata is and what page of my errata document the correction can be found.

If it's something simple, I'm not adverse to making the correction in pen in the book at the site or in the margin.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
The thread about printing new books with updated errata has made me think that I should find some way to mark in my books where the errata is. Putting a little highlighter mark next to passages that are errata'd would probably work, but I would rather not have something permanent in case I want to sell these books some day (I keep telling myself I might, but I still have all of my 2e and 3e books).

So, anyone have any suggestions on ways to mark where errata is without making the book unreadable or damaging it? How have you dealt with errata in your dead-tree copy?

As long as you can do it neatly, I'd just put it in the margins right near where the original content is - either completely or as a footnote marker. Then stick the complete notes on the inside of the cover.
I seriously wouldn't worry much about the reselling. If you find the errata useful, chances are that any further buyer would as well.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I did some of this in earlier editions, but just judging by the errata thread that is floating around and the nature of some of the changes, I think that would require a LOT of marking. Just make a binder with a table of contents, and include a copy of the TOC with the book.

Camelot

Adventurer
I just write stuff in pencil in my 4e books. If they errata the errata, the pencil can be erased since the pages are glossy enough for it not to be too permanent. My handwriting is small and neat, though, so it might not work for most other people. =)

Remove ads