Do you incorporate errata?

Reynard

Legend
I do not think I have ever incorporated errata with a TTRPG if I was running the game from the books. I think I have had players bring my attention to specific errata that impacts their characters and we may have incorporated that, but I don't have any strong memories of doing so.

When you have purchased a game in book format, dead tree or PDF (as opposed to on a VTT or service like DnDB), do you actively look for and "manually" incorporate errata into the rules? How often do you check? Do you incorporate it all, or just select bits? Does it change whether you are running versus playing the game? Does it depend on what game it is?

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Depends on the errata, I suppose. There was a lot of errata for MegaTraveller, so I had the pages handy in my MT box. There was some fairly important errata for Star Wars Saga Edition that I made frequent use of because there were a number of force powers that had errors as printed in my copy of the rulebook.
But most of the D&D errata hasn't really fussed me too much. I've looked at it and if important enough, I might make an annotation in my rulebook.

aco175

Legend
I recall in the 3e/4e days I would just use a pen and write in the book margins. I even printed some off and glued the paper over the section with the errata if it was that big. I did skip some of the petty things that clarified a word if we were already using it the way it was corrected to.

Examples would be changing the school of a spell might be something to change but changing every mention of race to heritage is something I would skip.

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
Sometimes, I incorporate it, when I think the errata would improve play in some way.
This. I don't usually proactively seek it out, unless I play with the rule and it seems broken, in which case I might check online whether it's been errata'd. Like, say, the Battlerager Vigor ability in 4E, which in its original form pretty much made the character immune to melee and Close attacks from Minions.

If I hear about an errata and it makes sense/seems like it would have a positive impact on play, I'm happy to incorporate it.

Last edited:

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
I do. I think the fact of my writing or pasting in errata in my old books was a good prediction that I would become a lawyer.

Though, like my legal reference material, I spend far less time these days swapping pages or annotating text and rely on auto updates in DDB or new versions of PDFs. When I buy TTRPG physical books now, they are only for books I really enjoy having on a shelf and paging through them and I would never deface them by updating with erata. But I rarely use physical books for in-game reference any more.

J.Quondam

CR 1/8
Whether running or simply owning a game, I usually track down errata and dutifully printed them out as long as they aren't more than a few pages. Then I tuck that hardcopy in the back of the book (or zip the errata with the main PDF). At that point, it's usually forgotten unless some question comes up during play.

On the flipside, sometimes while reading/playing a less popular rpg, I'll unearth a question or error that prompts me to go hunting for its errata. Sadly, some of those unsupported smaller games have no errata that I can find.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Eh, not really. I know it's out there, and I know where to find it, but I only incorporate it if I agree with it. Most of the time, stuff that people say needs fixing doesn't really need fixing at my table. And even when it does, the way they fix it for the world at large might not fix it to my own satisfaction.

Last edited:

Remove ads