When, How and What Do You Play?

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
I run an eight-hour game once per month (10am to 6pm) online in Foundry and Discord. Currently running Warhammer Fantasy 4e.

Ulfgeir

Hero
At the moment I play every second Friday and Sunday. In person.
On Fridays we now play our homebrewed PbtA-based Wuixa-game that has been going since the summer 2020. We play form like 18:30-22. And at the moment on Sundays D&D 3.5. There we play from 13:00-21:00 with paus for for food around 17:00

We also sometimes play something over the net/or sometimes in person on the odd Saturdays.

aramis erak

Legend
Just out of curiosity, what do your game sessions look like from a purely logistical standpoint?

So, what are you playing? How often? Using what format or venue?
My wed game is in person at the FLGS. Currently Dragonbane. Nominally 18:00 to 21:30.

My Sun night game is via discord. Currently D&D cyclopedia, with the gaz rules in force, and general skills, weapon mastery, and the full gonzo.
Both games are weekly, with occasional missed weeks for various reasons. TOnight was the 19th session of the D&D game. Party is 7th level

We run an in-person 5e D&D game with plenty homebrewery twice a month (6-8 hours, including a meal) - based in the Realms (mega-campaign).

Recently started up Mystara-set vignettes (4-6 sessions) within a "Living World" using a cobbled together engine. Just finished the first one in Ylaruam (The Prisoner of the B'thuvian Demon Whore). The second vignette will be an all dwarf-campaign in Rockhome consisting of a warrior from the "The Thorns", a guilt-ridden cleric of Kagyar, a tunnel-runner cartographer (scout/ranger), an engineer artificer and an elder statement on his last hurrah, pursuing the excitement of his younger years. Play in person, at minimum once a month and for 5 hours or so.

Last edited:

aramis erak

Legend
My wed game is in person at the FLGS. Currently Dragonbane. Nominally 18:00 to 21:30.

My Sun night game is via discord. Currently D&D cyclopedia, with the gaz rules in force, and general skills, weapon mastery, and the full gonzo.
Both games are weekly, with occasional missed weeks for various reasons. TOnight was the 19th session of the D&D game. Party is 7th level
Well... Tonight ended dragonbane... I don't know what it's going to be starting next week yet.
Not quite a TPK, but damned close.

Li Shenron

Legend
Just out of curiosity, what do your game sessions look like from a purely logistical standpoint?
So, what are you playing? How often? Using what format or venue?
I'm not playing regularly, we play with long-time friends casually a bunch of times during the year, usually in conjunction with seasonal holidays like Christmas, Easter, Halloween, May 1st and a few times during the summer, more or less I'd say an average of once per couple of months. We typically plan for one-shots but usually end up needing a follow-up evening to complete the adventure within a few days later. It is either D&D 5e with me as DM, or Call of Cthulhu with me as a player, although sometimes we also played custom-made RPGs (not me DMing those, so I can't tell where the rules come from).

In addition, I still run a long-time campaign within the family, which is even more irregular as we typically pop out the game stuff when a rainy day ruins our other family plans, or the kids are just getting bored on a summer afternoon, usually without much preparation.

I still sometimes join a PbP on these forums, otherwise online RPGing on a VTT is not for me.

GrimCo

Adventurer
Only one group/game. Sunday 9:30-13. Sometimes we finish at 12 and very rare around 13:30-14. We rotate at hosting, but mostly play at one friends house since he's only one single (rest of us married with small kids). We play 5e since it was D&D Next playtest, so 10+ years. Sometimes we have extra sessions, like yesterday was day of csuse of elections, so after voting, we got into cars and to friends cottage outside city. Some meat on the grill and 5 hour game session. Once or twice a year, we have gaming weekend (Friday after work till Sunday afternoon), we go to friends mountain house or seaside holiday house, bring food and booze and play couple of longer sessions of dnd ( plus some other fun stuff between sessions).

Online games just aren't doing it for me. Big part of ttrpg experience for me is hanging out with friends in person.

Updating, our experimental PBEM Traveller game wrapped up so I'm back down to no ongoing games at the moment, although I do have a one-shot Sentinel Comics FTF session tomorrow with some folks from one of my old groups and two newbies who want to try the system.

The PBEM game (only my second in that format, and the first this century) was pretty satisfactory, although I do miss FTF play and how much easier it is to riff of each other's roleplaying in the moment. Will probably revisit the format in the future - and less than twenty years from now.

Remove ads