Level Up (A5E) Marshal's Miraculous Protector: how does it work?

xiphumor

Legend
Targeting Change.

The baddie is forced to make the Marshal their target mechanically speaking, but narratively it's of their "Own Volition".
That works if they can physically target you, but it might not work if they’re making a melee attack 30 ft. away from you or if there’s a wall in the way.

Mike Myler

Have you been to LevelUp5E.com yet?
Any suggestions on how to flavor that when you’re nowhere near the attack?
Despite the tentacle's swiftness and brutality Orla is unphased as Varskyle calls out to her, "hold the line!", pouring every bit of willpower into his plea and shuddering as the pain of the strike resonates through their connection to stagger the dragonborn marshal on the other side of the pit.

something like that

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Despite the tentacle's swiftness and brutality Orla is unphased as Varskyle calls out to her, "hold the line!", pouring every bit of willpower into his plea and shuddering as the pain of the strike resonates through their connection to stagger the dragonborn marshal on the other side of the pit.

something like that
Seems magical to me, but that's cool if you're ok with it.

I'm wondering how this feature would interact with the Warding Bond spell.
If a cleric casts Warding Bond on the Marshall and an ally gets critted, the marshall could take the hit instead, but the damage could be split between him and the cleric, aiding in the overall survivability of the party (noone gets a lot of damage in one go). This would be cool and I'd probably allow it, but I'm wondering if it's intended to work this way.
Also I'm wondering: suppose the initial character is getting critted because has no shield to sacrifice. Would this feature allow the Marshall to sacrifice his own shield, thus receiving a normal damage instead? By the wording of the feature, since the marshall becomes the new target of the attack, it should be so: in a sense then this feature works like Sanctuary.

xiphumor

Legend
I'm wondering how this feature would interact with the Warding Bond spell.
If a cleric casts Warding Bond on the Marshall and an ally gets critted, the marshall could take the hit instead, but the damage could be split between him and the cleric, aiding in the overall survivability of the party (noone gets a lot of damage in one go). This would be cool and I'd probably allow it, but I'm wondering if it's intended to work this way.
Also I'm wondering: suppose the initial character is getting critted because has no shield to sacrifice. Would this feature allow the Marshall to sacrifice his own shield, thus receiving a normal damage instead? By the wording of the feature, since the marshall becomes the new target of the attack, it should be so: in a sense then this feature works like Sanctuary.
I personally would allow warding bond, but not sacrifice shield unless the narrative permitted a change in target.

Remove ads