D&D 5E Martial Ranger - Final version...I think

NotAYakk

Legend
Do you 1d6 to 1d10 is better?
1d6 to 1d10 is ok, but often I'd want it to go 1d6 1d8 1d10. 1d6 to 2d6 is ok.

1d8 to 2d6 is strange, especially when another similar ability does 1d6 to 2d6.

I think when a die changes size, it should either change count or go up by 1 step at a time. It just ... feels smoother?

As an example of me trying to use that kind of "smooth" die transition on a non-spellcasting Ranger:

I did a 30 minute "non-magical" Ranger, and what I did was give it a "Ranger die" (I called it .. awareness?) that scaled from 1d4 up to 1d12. Then hung abilities off it at various points.

So instead of expertise, you started with being able to roll it to add to Perception and Investigation checks. At later levels you could add it to other stuff.

If I remember right, one thing you could do is replace a weapon damage roll with a roll of the die on your Quarry. So when you roll low on your weapon damage roll, you can "reroll" using your "Ranger die". It rewarded small-die weapons more than big-die weapons (so boosted bows and light melee weapons more than two handed weapons), which fit with how Rangers are often depicted.

If you went with something like that, then hanging random stuff off it you want to scale would require less verbage.

Similarly, "pass without trace" let your allies add your "Ranger die" to their stealth checks if they where close enough to you. You could hang Ranger healing off it as well.

It acted a bit like the pre-5e fighter, who got a similar die that scaled. And it provided a unified mechanic.

Here it is: D&D 5E - Tasha's really improved and changed the feel of Rangers

Feel free to steal anything you want; it was far less polished than yours is.

Remove ads