D&D 5E Martials v Casters...I still don't *get* it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
As far as training and feats, I have no idea what that has to do with the conversation.
players having choices over that epic destiny of how they advance into the extraordinary epic levels are often on the hit list of those saying I want it explicit from boons (controlled by the DM) or something similar ie the boons in a sense the 4e powers and feats they gained in epic tier were chosen as a group by the player (4e boons were like magic items and not entirely chosen).

The description I read had epic levels being in 5e being 17 to 20...

Sithlord

Adventurer
So your wizard has a spell every NPC now uses that spell against the party how fun... for you. Oh right martial abilities cannot be considered special enough that everyone isnt going to bring it to the table.
That’s not even the same thing. You are describing a class feature versus a non-class feature.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
It's a compromise, like one of many that was made for simplicity. I don't personally have a problem with that.
It's mostly not a problem since people don't play at postlevel 10, pre-olympic play.

The second you become amongst the greatest swordman in the nation or the country's greatest thief, D&D breaks down.

Sithlord

Adventurer
It would be cool if the spells could be "re-skinned" as special abilities.

I've often wondered at preparing a curated spell list that could reasonably be under the umbrella of heroic abilities.
So basically u want the abilities of magic without the limitations of magic like not being dispelled or countered and functioning in antimagic areas and other limitations that magic has. That sounds fair.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I'm well aware of your love of mythic heroes like Cu Chulainn. I don't want to play Hercules, nor do I want to play 4E.
Nor perseus nor most anyone on this list:

"There are many famous fighters from legend: Hercules, Perseus, Hiawatha, Beowulf, Siegfried, Cuchulain, Little John, Tristan, and Sinbad. History is crowded with great generals and warriors: El Cid, Hannibal, Alexander the Great, Charlemagne, Spartacus, Richard the Lionheart, and Belisarius."​

My point was then its very appropriate for you to not play high levels and me not to play low levels but my problem is I do not think the high levels ever reach the mythic when they seem still bound by assumptions of playing the guy down at the gym .

Sithlord

Adventurer
Nor perseus nor most anyone on this list:

"There are many famous fighters from legend: Hercules, Perseus, Hiawatha, Beowulf, Siegfried, Cuchulain, Little John, Tristan, and Sinbad. History is crowded with great generals and warriors: El Cid, Hannibal, Alexander the Great, Charlemagne, Spartacus, Richard the Lionheart, and Belisarius."​

My point was then its very appropriate for you to not play high levels and me not to play low levels but my problem is I do not think the high levels ever reach the mythic when they seem still bound by assumptions of playing the guy down at the gym .
No thanks. You can play gods if u want. Most on that list aren’t even demigods. But I’ll play conan and Elric at 20th level without the need for playing Hercules and Thor.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
No thanks. You can play gods if u want. Most on that list aren’t even demigods. But I’ll play conan and Elric at 20th level without the need for playing Hercules and Thor.
Conan isn't level 20

That's essential how the problem persists. Conan is in the low-mid teens and even then the rules are too weak for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads