Marvel could publish DC.

AT&T CLOSING DC COMICS IF '5G' FAILS SAYS ETHAN VAN SCIVER

Marvel Rumored to Take Over DC Comics

There’s a Rumor that Marvel is Taking Over DC Comics

MARVEL RUMORED TO TAKE OVER DC COMICS

---

Of course I doubt AT&T to sell Superman & cia when they are a very brand, even one of the main icones of the American culture. But something is happening. We, the Spanish people loves sayings and one is "to troubled river, fisherman's profit". This could be a great opportunity for Marvel/Disney, not to get the rights, but at least some licence agremeent, something like Hasbro with Disney, or IDW comics with Hasbro. Marvel could be allowed to publish their own version of DC superheroes or even theses as "guest artists" in the cinematic marvel universe.

Tonguez

Legend
Disney is getting to the point of owning all our childhood anyway, so a permanent Marvel DC crossover event was kinda inevitable , especailly with WB botching the DC Movie Universe

btw does Disney own Capcom?

Disney could buy some videogame studio, but my opinion is they would rather licencing with different companies. There is a Marvel vs Capcom, but also Kingdom Hearts saga by Square Enix.

I wonder about some new lincecing agreement between Hasbro and Capcom, but that is other matter.

In the past DC and Marvel could be together.

---

I am afair now it is a good age for superheroe franchises and for comics, but not for superheroes comics.

Other matter is a thorn for the superheroes too invulnerable and these aren't so easy to be adapted into videogames. I don't refer to Batman or Spiderman, but those "bulletproof skinned" superheroes, as Superman.

My suggestion to test the reaction by the public is a Lego: Mavel vs DC videogame, and some toys (by Hasbro?). And a horror crossovers about black laterns vs marvel zombies. Those can feel their rage and their hunger as variant of greed, but they don't tear out the hearts... but the brains to "gather".

The public, the fandom, has changed, but this doesn't mean the end of the superheroe franchises. The teleseries with DC superheroes still can work. Thanks theses Green Arrow, Flash or Batwoman may be known by no-American + no-Fandom.

Maybe we can agree "bulletproof" superheroes aren't very popular now because they are too perfect, and boring like the Mary Sue characters. Where is the challenge? If you know Superman is going to save the day only with the superpowers then the story is boring. Supergirl not only is on air yet but also Superman & Lois is going to be its spin-off.

The videogames "Injustice" teach us DC Universe can be used to create really good stories in the right writter's hands.

And the superheroes are a great potential gold mine among the roleplayers because a great section of the fandom would like to play stories with characters created by them.

---

Time Warner May Sell Warner Bros & DC if AT&T Merger Fails

Urriak Uruk

Debate fuels my Fire
I think the time for superhero movies is over and DC missed the boat. Maybe in another 20 years. Time for something new.
You know that the last Avengers movie is the highest grossing movie of all time? And it came out last year?

More on topic, I'm hoping this is untrue. The consolidation of film and media under Disney is deeply troubling, especially if you look at how Disney has been scrubbing anything remotely controversial from its newest releases.

DwarfHammer

Explorer
You know that the last Avengers movie is the highest grossing movie of all time? And it came out last year?

More on topic, I'm hoping this is untrue. The consolidation of film and media under Disney is deeply troubling, especially if you look at how Disney has been scrubbing anything remotely controversial from its newest releases.
Yes I am aware of that. Loved the movies. I think they have peaked.

Legatus_Legionis

< BLAH HA Ha ha >
According to those rumors, AT&T would closed down DC Publishing.

They would still OWN all the characters and stories, so they would have lots of stories to adapt to there streaming services.

The rumor also said AT&T would license out the characters for someone else to publish, much like what IDW does.

So while in theory, Marvel can license to have Superman appear in a Marvel Comic book, they would not have the right to adapt Superman into an MCU film.

I don't recall who said it, but for AT&T to sell the FULL_Rights to all DC properties, the asking price would be at least $20 BILLION dollars.

That is something even the house of the mouse will not pay for.

Maybe a licencing for the paper printed editions to other publisher, for example IDW comics or Dynamite Enternaiment. Any future crossover? They should agreee about profits with merchandicing, like toys or videogames, or a cartoon adaptation.

Or if the future are the streaming service media... why not interactive comics to be readen on screen?

Rikka66

Explorer
Maybe a licencing for the paper printed editions to other publisher, for example IDW comics or Dynamite Enternaiment. Any future crossover? They should agreee about profits with merchandicing, like toys or videogames, or a cartoon adaptation.

Or if the future are the streaming service media... why not interactive comics to be readen on screen?
There wouldn't be any discussion about merchandising or cartoons. Much like the movies, that's entirely separate world they aren't giving up.

Yes I am aware of that. Loved the movies. I think they have peaked.
I get that, but that a different matter from them missing the boat if they each keep making a billion dollars each.

Zardnaar

Legend
There wouldn't be any discussion about merchandising or cartoons. Much like the movies, that's entirely separate world they aren't giving up.

I get that, but that a different matter from them missing the boat if they each keep making a billion dollars each.
They don't make a billion though after cinema cut.

At 20 billion to buy the DECU they would have to make around 30 Force Awakens (2 billion box office, 700 million profit).

So at that price tag it's not worth it. Real value if DCU is probably more like 4 billion similar to Star Wars which has averaged a billion a movie.

Comics not worth that much nowdays.

Universe DC is a too important brand to be rejected, but maybe we are in the last years of superheroes paper-printed comic industry. My own opinion is there is a open door for future new intercompany crossovers, at least to test the reaction of the public. Then maybe the next step could be a crossover, but not in comic, but a toys, videogames or an animation title. Who would buy this? Speculators, of course, because this would be like a limited edition for collectors.

The final step would be allowing a "DC miniverse" within Marvel.

The value of the comic publishers is these are "laboratories of ideas", with a lower economic risk to test new ideas about stories later to be adapted to the media or videogames.

* Other possibility would be AT&T buying Disney, or al least a great pack of shares of stock. They shouldn't worry about renegotiating the profit sharing.

Truth Seeker

Adventurer
Universe DC is a too important brand to be rejected, but maybe we are in the last years of superheroes paper-printed comic industry. My own opinion is there is a open door for future new intercompany crossovers, at least to test the reaction of the public. Then maybe the next step could be a crossover, but not in comic, but a toys, videogames or an animation title. Who would buy this? Speculators, of course, because this would be like a limited edition for collectors.

The value of the comic publishers is these are "laboratories of ideas", with a lower economic risk to test new ideas about stories later to be adapted to the media or videogames.

* Other possibility would be AT&T buying Disney, or al least a great pack of shares of stock. They shouldn't worry about renegotiating the profit sharing.
AT&T has no patience or understanding to what DC Comics is, their shareholders are holding their feet to the fire on the massive combination debt with TW and them. The comic side has never reached past a billion dollars in revenue yearly and it never will. Despite what gimmicks being pulled by DC Comics to remain viable to the board AT&T mainly will not be enough. TW has the movie and tv IPS, which can bring in millions, hundred of millions...which surpasses the comic book profit margins with ease, as long the story is done right. That part will survive, the paper side....is declining and that slide has not stop.

AT&T buying Disney?

ROFL!!!!

Rikka66

Explorer
They don't make a billion though after cinema cut.

At 20 billion to buy the DECU they would have to make around 30 Force Awakens (2 billion box office, 700 million profit).

So at that price tag it's not worth it. Real value if DCU is probably more like 4 billion similar to Star Wars which has averaged a billion a movie.

Comics not worth that much nowdays.
I don't think I was referring to anyone buying it with the post you quoted. But I do agree with everything you say here.

Urriak Uruk

Debate fuels my Fire

Do I think Disney could buy DC Comics? Sure. Why not, AT&T probably doesn't care much about the comic publisher, it doesn't make that much money in bulk so I don't think AT&T cares much.

But licensing for other media and comic publishing are not the same thing. Disney owns comics for Spider-Man, X-Men, Deadpool, every Marvel character. But the films rights to all the characters were largely divided among different studios for a very long time, and even after Disney bought 20th Century Fox, Disney still doesn't have the rights to a Spider-Man movie. They have to negotiate contracts with Sony to make them.

AT&T will never give up the film rights to DC Comics, even if the movies are tanking (and they're not, Joker was a very profitable film for them recently). So this conversation is largely moot right now.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
In 2019, Disney made about $11 Billion in studio entertainment. They made about $24 billion from their media networks, and $26 billion from parks, experiences, and products.

If you are only relying on the box office revenue to make money, you are missing the point of owning an IP.

Zardnaar

Legend
In 2019, Disney made about $11 Billion in studio entertainment. They made about $24 billion from their media networks, and $26 billion from parks, experiences, and products.

If you are only relying on the box office revenue to make money, you are missing the point of owning an IP.
That's Disney though. They gave what 4 major studios, theme parks etc.

If you had 20 billion to buy the DCU I don't think you would get your money back on it anytime soon.

Hell Star Wars got better Box office, spent a billion in the theme park, and has better tie in merch sakes than anything DCU pulled off.

Say Disney bought it it would've smaller than marvel and just a fraction of Disney's overall revenue.

At 20 billion I wouldn't buy it I would buy something else. Star Wars makes more money and Disney got that for 4 billion.

Urriak Uruk

Debate fuels my Fire
That's Disney though. They gave what 4 major studios, theme parks etc.

If you had 20 billion to buy the DCU I don't think you would get your money back on it anytime soon.

Hell Star Wars got better Box office, spent a billion in the theme park, and has better tie in merch sakes than anything DCU pulled off.

Say Disney bought it it would've smaller than marvel and just a fraction of Disney's overall revenue.

At 20 billion I wouldn't buy it I would buy something else. Star Wars makes more money and Disney got that for 4 billion.

To be clear, the properties are worth a lot of money; Batman has made $28 billion, and Superman $11.4 billion. But you are absolutely correct that buying it for $20 billion is pretty absurd.

COMING SOON: 5 Plug-In Settlements for your 5E Game

Advertisement2

Advertisement4