Marvel could publish DC.

Zardnaar

Legend
There wouldn't be any discussion about merchandising or cartoons. Much like the movies, that's entirely separate world they aren't giving up.

I get that, but that a different matter from them missing the boat if they each keep making a billion dollars each.

They don't make a billion though after cinema cut.

At 20 billion to buy the DECU they would have to make around 30 Force Awakens (2 billion box office, 700 million profit).

So at that price tag it's not worth it. Real value if DCU is probably more like 4 billion similar to Star Wars which has averaged a billion a movie.

Comics not worth that much nowdays.

Universe DC is a too important brand to be rejected, but maybe we are in the last years of superheroes paper-printed comic industry. My own opinion is there is a open door for future new intercompany crossovers, at least to test the reaction of the public. Then maybe the next step could be a crossover, but not in comic, but a toys, videogames or an animation title. Who would buy this? Speculators, of course, because this would be like a limited edition for collectors.

The final step would be allowing a "DC miniverse" within Marvel.

The value of the comic publishers is these are "laboratories of ideas", with a lower economic risk to test new ideas about stories later to be adapted to the media or videogames.

* Other possibility would be AT&T buying Disney, or al least a great pack of shares of stock. They shouldn't worry about renegotiating the profit sharing.

Truth Seeker

Adventurer
Universe DC is a too important brand to be rejected, but maybe we are in the last years of superheroes paper-printed comic industry. My own opinion is there is a open door for future new intercompany crossovers, at least to test the reaction of the public. Then maybe the next step could be a crossover, but not in comic, but a toys, videogames or an animation title. Who would buy this? Speculators, of course, because this would be like a limited edition for collectors.

The value of the comic publishers is these are "laboratories of ideas", with a lower economic risk to test new ideas about stories later to be adapted to the media or videogames.

* Other possibility would be AT&T buying Disney, or al least a great pack of shares of stock. They shouldn't worry about renegotiating the profit sharing.

AT&T has no patience or understanding to what DC Comics is, their shareholders are holding their feet to the fire on the massive combination debt with TW and them. The comic side has never reached past a billion dollars in revenue yearly and it never will. Despite what gimmicks being pulled by DC Comics to remain viable to the board AT&T mainly will not be enough. TW has the movie and tv IPS, which can bring in millions, hundred of millions...which surpasses the comic book profit margins with ease, as long the story is done right. That part will survive, the paper side....is declining and that slide has not stop.

AT&T buying Disney?

ROFL!!!!

Rikka66

Adventurer
They don't make a billion though after cinema cut.

At 20 billion to buy the DECU they would have to make around 30 Force Awakens (2 billion box office, 700 million profit).

So at that price tag it's not worth it. Real value if DCU is probably more like 4 billion similar to Star Wars which has averaged a billion a movie.

Comics not worth that much nowdays.

I don't think I was referring to anyone buying it with the post you quoted. But I do agree with everything you say here.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone

Do I think Disney could buy DC Comics? Sure. Why not, AT&T probably doesn't care much about the comic publisher, it doesn't make that much money in bulk so I don't think AT&T cares much.

But licensing for other media and comic publishing are not the same thing. Disney owns comics for Spider-Man, X-Men, Deadpool, every Marvel character. But the films rights to all the characters were largely divided among different studios for a very long time, and even after Disney bought 20th Century Fox, Disney still doesn't have the rights to a Spider-Man movie. They have to negotiate contracts with Sony to make them.

AT&T will never give up the film rights to DC Comics, even if the movies are tanking (and they're not, Joker was a very profitable film for them recently). So this conversation is largely moot right now.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter

In 2019, Disney made about $11 Billion in studio entertainment. They made about $24 billion from their media networks, and $26 billion from parks, experiences, and products.

If you are only relying on the box office revenue to make money, you are missing the point of owning an IP.

Zardnaar

Legend
In 2019, Disney made about $11 Billion in studio entertainment. They made about $24 billion from their media networks, and $26 billion from parks, experiences, and products.

If you are only relying on the box office revenue to make money, you are missing the point of owning an IP.

That's Disney though. They gave what 4 major studios, theme parks etc.

If you had 20 billion to buy the DCU I don't think you would get your money back on it anytime soon.

Hell Star Wars got better Box office, spent a billion in the theme park, and has better tie in merch sakes than anything DCU pulled off.

Say Disney bought it it would've smaller than marvel and just a fraction of Disney's overall revenue.

At 20 billion I wouldn't buy it I would buy something else. Star Wars makes more money and Disney got that for 4 billion.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
That's Disney though. They gave what 4 major studios, theme parks etc.

If you had 20 billion to buy the DCU I don't think you would get your money back on it anytime soon.

Hell Star Wars got better Box office, spent a billion in the theme park, and has better tie in merch sakes than anything DCU pulled off.

Say Disney bought it it would've smaller than marvel and just a fraction of Disney's overall revenue.

At 20 billion I wouldn't buy it I would buy something else. Star Wars makes more money and Disney got that for 4 billion.

To be clear, the properties are worth a lot of money; Batman has made $28 billion, and Superman $11.4 billion. But you are absolutely correct that buying it for $20 billion is pretty absurd.

Remove ads