Marvel Studios' Captain Marvel | Special Look

Derren

Hero
Well the movie is out and while I found it entertaining its in my opinion rather far from being the best Marvel movie.

While most (but not all) gags were good many of the "though one liners" felt misplaced to me. And while the movie does start rather strong in my opinion it loses a lot in the last third where imo there is no real suspense when the bad guys are crossed off one after another.
And they could have used a bit smaller hammer to get the message of never giving up across. That was anything but subtle.

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
It feels like a Phase 1 movie, which it should have been. What I mean is, it would have worked better if they'd introduced her through this movie much earlier. The movie itself is alright. Not stellar, but not bad in any way either.

It's got an ok rating on both metacritic and imdb, which leads me to believe that the Rotten Tomatoes audience rating is just being weird at the moment (the critic rating is fine).

Derren

Hero
It feels like a Phase 1 movie, which it should have been. What I mean is, it would have worked better if they'd introduced her through this movie much earlier. The movie itself is alright. Not stellar, but not bad in any way either.

It's got an ok rating on both metacritic and imdb, which leads me to believe that the Rotten Tomatoes audience rating is just being weird at the moment (the critic rating is fine).

No idea about RT, I usually don't check those sites, but I don't think you will get a fair rating about this movie anywhere any time soon as it will certainly be a hotly discussed topic on various feminist and anti-feminist media because of the cast (not only the main one but also the makeup of the secondary cast) with them claiming this movie to be a revelation for feminism (with the danger of sliding into the "everyone who does not like it is a misogynist" territory like what happened with Ghost Busters) while the other side will decry it a feminist propaganda and will universally hate it. The ratings that are about the movie itself will be drowned out for a while until this "discussion" dies down.

Imo, watch it if you like the other marvel superhero movies. If not, don't.

PS: I really liked what they did for Stan Lee in the beginning.
Does someone know if the cameo was shot before his death or if it was a double?

Last edited:

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
They shot that before his death, but it was slightly altered for the movie to be a bit more touching instead of just a straight comedy shot.

Derren

Hero
They shot that before his death, but it was slightly altered for the movie to be a bit more touching instead of just a straight comedy shot.

That makes me wonder if they also have one in Endgame. Otherwise I am not sure how to put Lee into the movie. It would be weird to have the big finale be the only one without Stan Lee cameo. On the other side using a double would be rather insensitive in the eyes of some people.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
That makes me wonder if they also have one in Endgame. Otherwise I am not sure how to put Lee into the movie. It would be weird to have the big finale be the only one without Stan Lee cameo. On the other side using a double would be rather insensitive in the eyes of some people.

They filmed a bunch in advance. He didn’t travel to every movie set, but spent a day or two filming a whole load of cameos.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
No idea about RT, I usually don't check those sites, but I don't think you will get a fair rating about this movie anywhere any time soon as it will certainly be a hotly discussed topic on various feminist and anti-feminist media because of the cast (not only the main one but also the makeup of the secondary cast) with them claiming this movie to be a revelation for feminism (with the danger of sliding into the "everyone who does not like it is a misogynist" territory like what happened with Ghost Busters) while the other side will decry it a feminist propaganda and will universally hate it. The ratings that are about the movie itself will be drowned out for a while until this "discussion" dies down.

Imo, watch it if you like the other marvel superhero movies. If not, don't.

while I don't doubt that the debate will happen amongst certain internet circles it is kinda rubbish, since there was barely anything remotely feminist in the story - other than having a sassy female lead.

The story was nice, but not great with a bit of fun and fireworks, two unexpected moments, a couple of disappointing moments, a naf twist and a cat.

The cameo was nice - apparently STan Lee will be making appearances for a long time to come

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
other than having a sassy female lead.

There was a sassy female lead. There was no romance plot. When it came down to it, the female lead didn't need menfolk to help her save the day.

You'd be surprised how much that grates on men who are very used to being the center of attention.

I went yesterday with a friend of mine (it was his birthday), and a few others. I liked the movie. My friend thought it was okay. His wife, his daughter, and my wife thought it was outstanding.

Welcome to the effect of being represented by the main character. How great the movie is depends, not solely, but strongly, on how much you identify with the main characters. Go figure.

Remove ads