Marvel Studios' Captain Marvel | Special Look

Went to see it with my wife this weekend. We both really enjoyed it. It doesn’t crack my top 5 Marvel movie list, but definitely the top 10. Brie Larson’s performance was absolutely awesome and empowering. Also, perhaps the best use of a No Doubt song in a movie.

Samuel L. Jackson’s de-aging was pretty darn perfect. It was easy to forget that you were watching a digitally altered being on screen. Then again, it’s hard to believe he’s 70 years old, watching him normally!

The 90s setting was pretty good, not too hammy. They got little things, like how jeans and pants fit back then, mostly right. Those particular NIN shirts were just about everywhere, too. I recall the suits back then being a little broader, with still a bit of the 80s shoulder pads, back then. And the way the shelves were set up in the Blockbuster, didn’t quite match my memories – I remember them being staggered, not lined up like that.

Istbor

Dances with Gnolls
Well the movie is out and while I found it entertaining its in my opinion rather far from being the best Marvel movie.

While most (but not all) gags were good many of the "though one liners" felt misplaced to me. And while the movie does start rather strong in my opinion it loses a lot in the last third where imo there is no real suspense when the bad guys are crossed off one after another.
And they could have used a bit smaller hammer to get the message of never giving up across. That was anything but subtle.

Nah man. I liked that big hammer. Pounding away at my emotional shielding. That was in my opinion pretty awesome. I mean sure. It's just us Humans pointing out how great we are... but we can be pretty great.

More generally, I really liked the movie. I couldn't tell you which out of all of them was my favorite, but I would certainly watch this one again.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Nah man. I liked that big hammer. Pounding away at my emotional shielding. That was in my opinion pretty awesome. I mean sure. It's just us Humans pointing out how great we are... but we can be pretty great.

I thought it was a great message, and hammering it home was good by me.

I liked that it echoes Into the Spider-Verse, which had this as an element. It made them feel... united, even though they are made by different folks.

Last edited:

Derren

Hero

More generally, I really liked the movie. I couldn't tell you which out of all of them was my favorite, but I would certainly watch this one again.

I prefer more subtle messages in movies. Even Zootopia wasn't that direct "in your face".

For me it was at the low end of Marvel movies. Except for Thor I can't think of any which I would rate lower than Captain Marvel. It has some good scenes (and thank god no "alien lands on earth and has no idea how things work" gags) but for me it simply lacks *it*. Maybe if they had stayed a bit longer with the Kree and their alien technology. That certainly looked good (and didn't dip into the "whacky alien" theme from Guardians).

I quite liked it. Probably one of the better origin movies. I'd put it above Thor and The Incredible Hulk. And it was certainly better than Doctor Strange, Ant-Man, and Black Panther. Maybe even Iron Man. (Which is decent, but doesn't hold up as well.)
The different pace helped. It was an origin, but the character started with powers. They were always super. But at the end they just got way more super. The dash of Robocop and rediscovering their past and origin with the audience really made it more watchable.

Plus, I liked how it connected to so many movies. Korath and Ronan from Guardians of the Galaxy, the Avenger Initiative, the Cosmic Cube, and even a slight nod to Kree blood having a restorative effect on humans.

I even liked the Skrull twist. It was an interesting subversion of expectations. Clearly they couldn't have the Kree be the good guys, and needed to have some reason to have Marvel turn on them. But having it be the Skrulls was inspired: they have been refugees in the past (their homeworld being a victim of Galactus).

And the music. Damn. It was like they raised my High School CD collection.

As to the idea of trailers becoming events in and of themselves, the first trailer I can remember getting that treatment was the first trailer to The Phantom Menace.

I remember my entire college gaming club went to see the movies The Siege and Wing Commander just because the first and second trailers for TPM were attached to them. We didn't get up and leave after the trailer, but our interest in the actual movies afterward was largely incidental (well, with Wing Commander, I loved the video games. . .but that movie was a butchery of a classic game).

I remember in the days of dial-up the struggle to download the trailers for TPM, they were the first trailers I can also recall that had people downloading them online and talking online breaking down the trailer scene-by-scene and line-by-line to figure out things about the movie.

If people were doing that with films before Episode I I'd like to hear about it, but I think TPM really hit at the time of the rise of the Internet, where people could discuss trailers online, and download them, and share info about which movies had which trailers attached.

If people were doing that with films before Episode I I'd like to hear about it, but I think TPM really hit at the time of the rise of the Internet, where people could discuss trailers online, and download them, and share info about which movies had which trailers attached.

Before the net was really the net https://www.warnerbros.com/news/articles/2015/06/23/batman-26-years-later/

Regarding Keaton's casting as Wayne/Batman a teaser trailer was quickly released that was met with such positive fan reaction that people began buying tickets to movies just to watch the trailer.

Nutation

Explorer
I even liked the Skrull twist. It was an interesting subversion of expectations. Clearly they couldn't have the Kree be the good guys, and needed to have some reason to have Marvel turn on them. But having it be the Skrulls was inspired: they have been refugees in the past (their homeworld being a victim of Galactus).

I generally agree with you, but I didn't like this. The Skrulls are invading bad guys in the original Kree-Skrull war. If Marvel wants to do any more K-S, and I assume they do, we have to see more typically evil Skrulls at some point so that Earth can be a neutral 3rd party to all that. Now, we saw both admirable and evil Kree - obviously, CM had to break allegiance with them and find herself. The Kree being presented as complicated, future writers can use them in several ways.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases