marvel super heroes rpg

BlueBlackRed

Explorer
I used to love that game.

Unfortunately the only people who played it back then were what would now be considered munchkins.
They never liked any real challenge.
They just wanted to do cool stuff and then start over.

Kind of ruins the fun when everyone wants to be Wolverine in his prime when you want to run the Nightmares of the Futures Past modules.

Aaron L

Hero
I'll make my obligatory attempt to get you to use DC Heroes instead (or Blood of Heroes, a new book is coming out soon, hopefully) :) I never could comlpetely wrap my head around FASERIP.

If you would like stats for Marvel characters in MEGS, go to www.writeups.org

However, if youre a big fan of FASERIP, heres a good site for you

http://www.classicmarvel.com/

Last edited:

Henry

Autoexreginated
I had to delete some links to material above. It comes up every time there's an MSH thread, but we don't allow links to illegal PDF copies of material, even out of print; I checked the site, and couldn't find a declaration that it was in any way legally authorized. Sorry, all.

-Henry

Staffan

Legend
Darth Shoju said:
I've got the Mutant Update. I always enjoyed it, but it occasionally seemed to contradict the canon of the comics (and seemed to give some characters powers I had never heard of).
If you mean Children of the Atom, I thought that was an excellent resource that was pretty up-to-date for the time in question (just prior to the Mutant Massacre, IIRC). Some of the stuff mentioned in it were rarely used in the comics, but I don't recall any outright errors.

Darth Shoju

First Post
Hmmm...what I have is called the Mutant Update. I believe it is for the game we are referencing. I think I bought it back in '93-'94. It has strange abilities like Wolverine being invisible to video cameras and such (if this ability has been chronicled in the comics it has escaped me :p ) Unfortuneately I didn't know what it was when I bought it and I didn't have the core rule boxed-set, so I had no idea what the rules meant. I still don't to be honest; I never picked up the rules. But it describes their stats with terms like "exceptional" or something. I was always confused as to whether an "exceptional" durability was better than "terrific" (I could be getting the terms wrong here...I don't have the supplement handy. :p )

BlueBlackRed

Explorer
Darth Shoju said:
Hmmm...what I have is called the Mutant Update. I believe it is for the game we are referencing. I think I bought it back in '93-'94. It has strange abilities like Wolverine being invisible to video cameras and such (if this ability has been chronicled in the comics it has escaped me :p ) Unfortuneately I didn't know what it was when I bought it and I didn't have the core rule boxed-set, so I had no idea what the rules meant. I still don't to be honest; I never picked up the rules. But it describes their stats with terms like "exceptional" or something. I was always confused as to whether an "exceptional" durability was better than "terrific" (I could be getting the terms wrong here...I don't have the supplement handy. :p )
Mutant Update came out after Children of the Atom.
Wolverine got his invisibility to cameras, as did all the X-Men back in the mid-80's, after they saved the world, of course.

In order from weakest to strongest:
Sh0 = Shift-0 (No stat)
FB = Feeble (Baby)
Pr = Poor (Weak)
Ty = Typical (Average)
Gd = Good (Above average)
Ex = Excellent (Upper limit of most human abilities)
Rm = Remarkable
In = Incredible
Am = Amazing
Mn = Monstrous
Un = Unearthly (Usual upper limit for heroes)
ShX = Shift X
ShY = Shift Y
ShZ = Shift Z
Cl1000 = Class 1000 (Celestial and other cosmic entities)
Cl3000 = Class 3000
Cl5000 = Class 5000
infinity = Beyond (Beyonder level)

Aaron L

Hero
All of the X-Men were rendered invisible to electronic detection by a powerful spell cast by Dr. Strange, and it lasted quite a while. It should still be active, but i dont think writers remember about it. I remember a 92 or so comic where they were invisible to shi'ar who were looking for them on a planet, and i think the spell was cast in the 80's.

Twowolves

Explorer
It wasn't Dr Strange, it was Roma. They all passed through the "Seige Perilous" after saving Dallas. They supposedly all died, but were instantly reborn and that invisibility to cameras thing was a nice little bonus. Ideally, they were to be more proactive, striking at their enemies who would presume they were no longer around.

And even if you didn't know the adjective rankings, they all had the numerical ratings in parenthesis out beside them. I remember seeing the sample characters for Villians and Vigilanties in the 80's in Dragon magazine and me and my friends trying to "reverse engineer" (or just plain figure out) the rules from that.

Aaron L

Hero
That came from the seige periloius? Hmm, i thought it was from something earlier, but I hadnt actually read the comics at that point. Good to know!

Remove ads