marvel super heroes rpg

Hjorimir

Adventurer
I had a ton of fun with MSH back in the day. But now, looking at the system with a more experienced eye, there were some very fundamental problems with the system.

CrusadeDave

First Post
Karma..... I love Karma

The best part about the system, was spending Karma.

After a little while campaigning, it was obvious to my group that spending Karma to improve one's abilities was a total waste. Dice rolls was where it was at. Since everyone just treated their Karma Bank as something to spend, I started handing out Monopoly Money. Faster the Better, In this case Monty Haul, just throwing paper money at the players, as in the original Let's Make a Deal.
:)

My PC's would come into battles with BBEG, calling a Karma roll with every round. Which meant my BBEG would have to spend Karma every round to avoid Kill? Stun? and Slam? checks.

Everything always came down to who ran out of Karma First....

Round 1:
"I Shoot at Thanos. With Karma!"
Rolls a 35.
"Hmmm, spending I've already got a green, if I spent another 13 I'd have a Yello, and 33 makes a Red. I'll spend 33. I only have 200 Karma Left.

Thanos spends Karma to avoid dying.

Repeat this 3-4 times. Until Thanos gets to act....

Of course I only allowed Karma to work if they described in vivid,colorful language how Karma caused the realm of luck/fate to bend to their advantage in combat or else it wouldn't work.

In a side note: The Nightmare of Future Past was a phenomenal set of modules. And I do have to say that the twist they set up at the end to establish the BBEG is one of the most awesome ideas I've ever seen with the X-Men universe. Clairemont should have stolen it. I want to run the whole thing again one day at a small Con. Bring the D-10s.

BlueBlackRed

Explorer
CrusadeDave said:
In a side note: The Nightmare of Future Past was a phenomenal set of modules. And I do have to say that the twist they set up at the end to establish the BBEG is one of the most awesome ideas I've ever seen with the X-Men universe. Clairemont should have stolen it. I want to run the whole thing again one day at a small Con. Bring the D-10s.
I loved those modules as well, but only got to run them a little thanks to being a broke teen at the time and having nothing but munchkin players who all wanted to be named "Logan".

But I don't remember the twist. What was it?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
CrusadeDave said:
"Hmmm, spending I've already got a green, if I spent another 13 I'd have a Yello, and 33 makes a Red. I'll spend 33. I only have 200 Karma Left.

I always made them decide what color they wanted before they saw the dice roll. None of this shopping for the best deal nonsense :)

Remove ads