Marvel to Launch Official 'MARVEL MULTIVERSE' Tabletop Role-Playing Game in 2022

Matt Forbeck announced on Twitter that he’s working on a new in-house D616 Marvel RPG due for a 2022 release! It looks like there will be an open playtest. What’s the D617 System? “… the all-new D616 System, an accessible and easy-to-learn system for newcomers to tabletop RPGs and a natural evolution for those familiar with the most popular tabletop role-playing games on the market. Use...

Matt Forbeck announced on Twitter that he’s working on a new in-house D616 Marvel RPG due for a 2022 release! It looks like there will be an open playtest.

20325EE8-0395-467B-8DF9-DE1D6E32469F.jpeg

What’s the D617 System? “… the all-new D616 System, an accessible and easy-to-learn system for newcomers to tabletop RPGs and a natural evolution for those familiar with the most popular tabletop role-playing games on the market. Use Might, Agility, Resilience, Vigilance, Ego, and Logic to win the day, and discover your true abilities as you face impossible odds!”

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
I pre-ordered a copy through my FLCS. I don't know what the odds are of my group playing it, but between my curiosity, the cost, and willingness to support the store, I figured "what the heck?"

Jer

Legend
Supporter
120 pages? Interesting.
$10 for a 120 page comic book sounds about right these days.

Wait, are they doing the whole "Pay us to playtest the book" thing?
Yes, except it's probably more along the lines of "pay us for a preview for the game and we might tweak a few things between this preview and the final release based on feedback". Making Marvel readers feel like "part of the company" is part of what the Marvel experience has always been about after all.

Marvel is selling this as if it were a comic book through comic book channels, not a game through game store channels. Which makes this an interesting experiment but also means bringing comic book store owners on board to sell it. A $10 preview IMO is actually not that bad if it actually does contain a playable game experience.

(Here's their Diamond Previews page for it - as a comics reader for mumble mumble years it's pretty obvious what Marvel's doing with this. MARVEL MULTIVERSE RPG PLAYTEST RULEBOOK TP MOMOKO DM VAR (DEC211092))

Okay, I saw the OP and it didn't mention there was a cost to the open playtest, but looking back in the previous pages, it appears that wasn't a secret.

Well, we did have to click through the link to the official Marvel announcement to see price and such. Why that was not listed in the OP, I don't know.

And at least it is a lot cheaper than the Pathfinder playtest books or the 5E Eberron "playtest" book was. And yes, while that was not strictly a playtest, it's popularity did lead to the expanded hardcover Eberron book getting published.

Staffan

Legend
Well, we did have to click through the link to the official Marvel announcement to see price and such. Why that was not listed in the OP, I don't know.

And at least it is a lot cheaper than the Pathfinder playtest books or the 5E Eberron "playtest" book was. And yes, while that was not strictly a playtest, it's popularity did lead to the expanded hardcover Eberron book getting published.
In fairness, the Pathfinder playtest material was also freely available online. The cost of the physical books was basically the printing cost plus whatever various middle-men add on top.

Remove ads

Remove ads